Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar/Ultima Ignition Problem

tmerideth

My DA Ultima will run fine for 15-30 minutes. Then quits, stops firing. Let it cool down for a few hours then will start and run again. Then same thing. Stops. I checked the coil primary and know that I am getting power to the primary. Anyone have any ideas? It is the 20 hp Kohler Magnum 20S.

Are you sure it quits firing, and not running out of fuel? I've never had one stop firing completely. I've had a failing ignition module stop firing on one side when it got hot. The magnum has a single module and the command has two. If you have power to the primary, and no spark at the plugs, it sounds like the module is slinky. You might check all the shrouding and the trans cooler and make sure you have free flowing air to keep things cool.

Gary, this engine does not have the coil on the outside. John, I have verified by removing plugs and cranking the engine that I have no spark on either plug. There are no obstructions to the cooling fins and the trans cooler is clean.

Did you check for voltage at the coil primary connection post when hot and not firing? I chased a similar problem before - turned out it was a wire with an internal fault - after the engine ran awhile something moved and the wire went open.

I'd check the wire that kills the engine it may be grounding somewhere or maybe getting a short in the switch.Had a very similar problem on an Ariens with the same engine ended up being a short in the switch and would kill the engine.