Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

312H Axle tube

sammiefish
Well, I got my new axle tube yesterday... I noticed that in the new tube there are places for 4 keys.... in my parts diagram there are only 2 keys listed and shown. In a conversation with the parts vendor she mentioned this was crossed to a 7100 series... does anyone know if this is to be expected?? I havent torn the 312 apart yet to actually compare but the length does seem the same... do i have the right part??? uhhh... i hope so!!

OrangeMetalGuy
Keep it in the plastic bag until you get the old one out to compare it to. On the newer machines, the inner set is for the keys that the bull gear slips over. The outer set is for the keys for the differential. Are you removing the trans entirely or just the right side? You can do it either way (I've done both).

sammiefish
Im hoping to take just the right side off the transaxle from what i can tell your suggestion should work here... I think the part #'s went like this: 2027424 in my 300 series parts manual went to 166066 according to the cross reference here then to 1670864 so if Im right it should be OK... I just was puzzled by the 2 pairs of key slots...