Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
THEPATRIOT

16HP Sunstar?

comet66
I've never seen a 16 HP so I don't know anything about them. But it should still have the same heavy duty chassis and trans. I say any Sunstar is worth taking a look at.

jmhusby
The 16 HP don't sell as well. I am in the market for a 20 HP and all I seem to come accross is 16's. I want power steering plus my 16 hp Case/Ingersoll was light on a 48" blower. The only thing I would say is try it before you buy it. The rest of the tractor is heavy duty.4i

sammiefish
was the sunstar a 16Hp Kohler? It sure wont give you the issues of an onan in the 620/720 or 4040/41/9020s... the oil pump fails in those... :( Ive got a K-341 in my 416 and Im impressed with it but while i dont know about the sunstar... I understand its a heavy duty... but so is the 416... weighing about 800 lbs.. i dont know how much the sunstar weighs.... the 416 blasts thru the grass VERY well and ive got thick grass... and i can say the 10Hp kohler blows deep (1 1/2 ft) snow fine with the 48" blower... im a 3/400 guy but i would ABSOLUTELY look at a sunstar!!

D-17_Dave
You can always swap in a twin cyl. engine later if you have a problem. If the price is right, go for. As for the Onan oil pumps, been running them for years on multiple models with no pump problems. Any engine or part can fail if dirt gets inside.

sammiefish
im sorry about the onan comment... did not mean to offend... it just seems that there are alot of failures... probably to poor maint. as you say, and as the reputation goes around here ... onan is as expensive as kohler... and im still happy with my kohlers... if i ever get lucky enough to get a good onan... ill probably be an onan guy too... and also... if one maintains the K-341 there will be no need for a swap out... sm03

IronPony
I put a K341 in my AC712 and have never looked back! It runs great and does everything I ask it to do. Even starts at -25 below zero if I keep the battery up. I would sure look at a Sunstar with the 16hp in it.