Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My 3416H

larry8200

Hi everyone. Simple Tractors is great, this is better. While contemplating spending $15 on a new fuel cap/gauge, I daresay the $10 membership fee will be the best deal in a while. A little note here: I don't consider the tractor a restoration, but very well maintained, and while the new paint looks super, the primary goal was rust prevention, and a job worth doing is worth doing right. The 48" deck IS a restoration but the only other thing not noted on the tractor that's been apart is the driveshaft. Thanks for looking every one! My Dad bought this 3416H new in 75, and since mowing the grass was my job I was the first to run it... When I bought my home with 1.5 acres of lawn it followed me here, and my Dad bought a new one. I think I got the better Sovereign. It has the electric lift kit, front and back lights, 48" deck, 42" snow thrower, 42" grader blade, dump cart and a 1500 lb. electric winch. I bought a new 48" deck off of a 7016 that was as perfect as a 30 year deck can be, and went right through it, painting the tractor at the same time. Except for the carburetor, starter, seat, belts, lights and center PTO clutch it is all original. None of the gear boxes, hydro, or engine have been apart. Engine oil consumption is negligible and the Vickers Hydro only leaks 1/2 qt./year. If the fluid cooler is allowed to get dirty, this increases. I've seen TransX seal conditioner work miracles in automotive overdrive transaxles, I wonder what a tablespoon might do for that old vickers... Rare is it that the engine turns twice before being up and running (even below 0), and my neighbors with their $10K plus Ferris's and Kubota's will never admit my lawn looks more than just a little better than there's sm01 Perhaps I should post pictures of the lawn and not the tractor! I think I'll do just that, it will be calllled "simple stripes" :) Anyways, if I can keep this running for another 20+ years, I will have ran it for nearly 60 years! That's lasting a lifetime! So long, Larry

Are you trying to make us all jealous? Welcome and what a very nice tractor. Thanks for the history too!

Not trying to make anyone jealous... Just showing my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I spend more time working on the mower than I do using it!
quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Are you trying to make us all jealous? Welcome and what a very nice tractor. Thanks for the history too!

It's a real clean machine, sweet. Is that rattle can paint or did you spray it with HVLP? jh

Your OCD fits very well with your tractor. You need to take it to shows and let everyone else share your "disorder" with you. Nice machine. It's amazing how easy it is to maintain these machines and they perform better than the new stuff on the market today. WELCOME!!! You'll fit right in.

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
It's a real clean machine, sweet. Is that rattle can paint or did you spray it with HVLP? jh
Hi, I have a Wagner CS9000 Pro HVLP system w/ spray booth, exhaust fan etc. but I have to admit the tractors done with Rustoleum orange, Krylon semi-gloss almond, and Rustoleum black. After years of trying unsuccesfully to match Simplicities colors, and Simplicities paint was NOT the best match, faded paint and I think Simplicity used different oranges made that hopeless. I taped off the original decals and made some stencils for the front and back. And best of all, everything including my cheesy dump trailer is the same orange, says "Simplicity" and touch up is a breeze.

Nice looking tractor. I have a 3415h which I love, but I have to admit yours looks better than mine. I like your rear winch, but I have to ask... what is it attched to? It can't just be attached to the rear fenders...is it?

Hi, Yeh, I love the old beast, wouldn't trade it for anything I've yet seen. There is a 1/2" steel plate attached with counter-sunk flat head bolts to the back of the fender to spread out the stress and the winch is attached to that. I was worried about the welds that hold the fender to it's frame, but they're fine. The hinge bolts seem to take the most stress and they're fine too. Over 7 years I've pulled a bunch of small tree's, rocks, as well as the back of the tractor off the ground without damaging anything. It's really not much of a winch, designed to pull a 1,000 lb. ATV out of the mud. I replaced the original cable with 40' of 3/16 stainless steel Wire Rope with a breaking point of 3200 lb. and a working load of 800 lb. The winch was $199 from McMaster Carr, the wiring, cable and hook another $60 and has been a nice adittion to the tractor. finally, Everyone (including mesm01) thinks it's way cool. I can can take and post some pictures if anyones interested.
quote:
Originally posted by dave45056
Nice looking tractor. I have a 3415h which I love, but I have to admit yours looks better than mine. I like your rear winch, but I have to ask... what is it attched to? It can't just be attached to the rear fenders...is it?

Very nice machine. I love the large-frames. Yes please take some pics detailing the winch installation, I hadn't thought about it but that would be a nice mod to make (plus, it's a way to get onesself unstuck :D). Those tires in the back look like they are brand new!

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Very nice machine. I love the large-frames. Yes please take some pics detailing the winch installation, I hadn't thought about it but that would be a nice mod to make (plus, it's a way to get onesself unstuck :D). Those tires in the back look like they are brand new!
Hey Orange, is that after your AC 716? Nice. I'll post the winch install Monday on Show & Tell. In case no ones noticed, I'll talk your ears off on these old large frames. I think nothing before or since in the same class comes close. If you put a winch and electric lift on your AC they can be honarary twins. If you ever come across the electric lift snag it for sure. And yes the tires are Titan Turf Masters bought new ebay November 08 for $20/piece and $30 S&H. I wish I had paid someone $10 to mount them. Right after I made this post I realized I missed them in my list of replaced parts. However, I decided that tires are just long term maintenance, the oil, grease, points etc. aren't original either :)

nice lookin tractor 8D. they are one tough old buggers. you outta seen the 3416H i just parted out. OMG :O it must have fell out of a truck going down the freeway and got ran over. i could'nt believe the things that where broke,bent,twisted, and snapped on the poor old thing.

quote:
Originally posted by perry
nice lookin tractor 8D. they are one tough old buggers. you outta seen the 3416H i just parted out. OMG :O it must have fell out of a truck going down the freeway and got ran over. i could'nt believe the things that where broke,bent,twisted, and snapped on the poor old thing.
What a bummer! (maybe) I'm looking for some shelf parts to insure mine lasts forever, want my wish list?

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Very nice job on the restoration and welcome to the club.
Thanks Ray, I definitly accept the welcome from the President of the club, 35 hours since I paid my dues and I am HOOKED!

[quote]Originally posted by larry8200
Not trying to make anyone jealous... Just showing my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I spend more time working on the mower than I do using it! but larry, ya just cant have one tractor. now that your a memeber they will start to multiply :D

Great job on the restore, and like the winch idea. But the two.. three tractor thing is true. The $10 membership is a great deal, now they extra tractors cost..... Enjoy the seat time a welcome to a great group.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
    • CarlH
    • mbsengineer
    • maxwood
    • Darl Swartz
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts