Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good news..pics of what might be bad

AC_B-1Novice

I still am not sure where the growl is coming from but I did jack up the rear end and the BGB runs the wheels forward and in reverse. That is the good news. Now…in these photos does it seem right the way these pulleys are mounted or am I in for a lot work? Also, I need a new ammeter. Does it make any difference what 12v I buy? Here are the pics of the pulleys.

I need your expertise. larry

Larry, Going from memory my Landlord had the same angle. The mid-pto is used to drive the deck. And the deck is driven from the center of it. So the belt has to get from the left side of the tractor to the center of it. I also think the pto moves slightly when it is engaged. I would suggest installing the deck and the belt and giving it a try. Hope this helps. Rick..........

That all looks about right, when the mower deck is on you will see why, however the PTO cone clutch appears to be stuck in the engaged position, and all that rust has to go or you will just tear up belts. I would dismatel PTO and make sure bearing in PTO pulley is OK. I have the same setup on my 3416 and can post some pics of how that looks with the belt on, on Sunday. You have quite a lot of clean-up there, That PTO could easily be making all kinds of noise. PS: If the sliding bearing on the PTO pulley is froze you could seriously damage the shaft on the bevel gear box.

The clutch seems to run ok and moves back and forth ok. It will take a lot of cleaning for sure. Thanks for the input.

The idler pulley looks to me like someone has had it off and put it on backward. One side of the center sticks out farther than the other. Try flipping it over and see how it lines up. It is supposed to line up when engaged. It will be off just a little when disengaged. You should not hear any noise from the bearing when the clutch is engaged because everything moves together and the bearing is not turning on the shaft. The bearing only operates when the clutch is disengaged. I keep my clutches engaged when I do not have an attachment on the tractor that uses the clutch.