Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Blown head or more?

Well I was mowing today with my 2210 and all of a sudden it started smoking. Not a little smoke, like I had turned on a fogger or something. Definitely smell oil burning. I killed the motor, topped off the oil and restarted and it still smokes. Let it cool down, tried again still smokes. I checked the head bolts, all nice and tight. I have not checked compression yet but it will start right up with no problem, it will just smoke. Does it sound like the head gasket or something else/more?

sammiefish
sounds like rings or valve... interesting it was so abrupt... id say you need to check compression like you said and maybe even tear down and take a look... maybe the cyl is scored or just broken ring... ??? i wouldnt run it too much until you figure it out... abruptness is interesting......sounds like a failure of some sort. sorry to hear it...

D-17_Dave
If the tractor is operated an angle it could flood the crankcase breather. The breather could also be blocked or the reed valve stuck allowing the crankcase to build slight pressure. The pressure or the blocked breather will pass oil into the carb and all of the sudden the engine will smoke real bad. Even if you reduce engine rpm and allow the breather to catch up the carb will be rich with oil and the engine will continue to smoke until it all burns out of the carb, intake, and cyl. Pull the breather off and clean the reed valve out so it moves freely. Clean out the carb and intake with some carb cleaner to help remove the excess oil. The cyl. will clear out soon enough if you have found the trouble. Make sure the breather gasket is properly aligned with the drain holes in the breather lower edge or it will fill with oil and flood again. If no oil is found inside the breather and carb then you likely have burnt the piston allowing the oil to pass freely by the sidewall. This is unlikely but possible.

larry8200
My 3416H once did the same thing. It was a stuck crankcase relief valve and the and oil was being blown into the carb through the vent tube. Maybe you can look in the carb and see if there is oil in there?

I was definitely mowing on an incline though nothing too steep. The smoke is not just coming from the exhaust, its coming from the head and behind the shroud. When I started it last time there was embers coming from the head (I think thats the source, I turned it off real fast) Where is the breather/reed valve? Head gasket is like $6, rings are like $25. Are there instructions anywhere for the rings? According to the blow out diagram of the motor is doesnt look like the cylinder comes off the crank case, just the head. Thanks for the input all!

BLT
I had a skeekter killer like yours , intermittent, but would really fog. Fins were plugged up with old grass and I think the heat wore out the rings. Ended up replacing rings. Was lucky enough to have a bore that would accept a standard chrome ring set. That was 15 years ago and never had a problem since. I also clean the fins regularly.

Yea thats what I was thinking. Rebuild time. I can't be out my tractor and the other ones not running right now. I do have a spare 23D motor but thats only 9HP not 10HP like the 243400 series. Think it will be ok for a while at least to put in the 23D?

MrSteele
Same thing happened to me recently on a 16 HP Briggs. Cleaned the carb, which did have some oil in it, so, tried the breather, no luck. It still smoked BADLY, wasn't a skeeter withing a mile any direction. Took off the head, top ring is in segments. on a 243400 series, old style, the breather is located under the starter/generator, and the hose leaving it connects to nothing, but stops under the cover. On the new styles, it is located behind the carburetor. Follow the hose at the bottom of the air cleaner mount of the carb back to the block. The breather/valve cover is located at the other end of the hose. The carb has to come off to get it off. It is easier to remove the cover if the manifold is off, but it can be done with the manifold on. If you are getting smoke from under the cover, remove the can under the starter/generator and wash it out with a solvent, put it back on and try it. I'd bet on rings.