Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Dipstick Question

Simplicity_728
I put a dipstick on my 728 engine off an 8hp Briggs out of a sears garden tractor. I like it alot better then just having the fill plug. The problem is the dipstick will screw in tight all the way but if turned any more it will pop up. It runs fine and it doesnt smoke or use oil with it like this. So I assume im not losing crankcase pressue. Is it alright to run the engine with it like this or should take it off and use the plug?

Simplicity314
One of the first things I do is lose that tube. Even if those threads snugged up, you would still have seepage, and if you used teflon tape or something to make a tight seal, it would still seep between the tube and where the tube is pressed into the threaded piece (they are 2 pieces). You will have a big oil/grime spot around the tube. With the plug, you can tighten those down really tight with the two little posts where you can use a screwdriver for leverage.

Simplicity314
quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
I use the plug. I think its easier to pull the plug and top it off than get correct amount on dipstick
Another good point--it's impossible to overfill them with the plug. Just fill to the threads and good to go.