Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

More Sundstrand Gremlins, leaks like a vickers

SmilinSam
The Sundstrand I removed the hydrolift setup fromis leaking rather badly from around the control shaft, much like a vickers usually does. Leaks bad enough that oil drips along behind the tractor as you go around the yard. Is this a simple fix on these? (ie: replaceable external seals)...or do I need to begin dragging out another transmission to replace this one with? This one works OK, but leaks

fmtm
Can a o-ring be placed on the control rod and held in place against the housing externally? You would need to fasten a metal holding ring or gland seat to hold the o-ring tightly against the housing to provide a seal. Just a thought and probably not workable unless the unit was out of the tractor.

PhanDad
Sam, I had the same issue on a 7116 I picked up - on the rear seal. Here's my post about the issue with info Mike posted from the repair manual: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=70275&SearchTerms=seal I replaced the seal fairly easily using the "drill 2 small holes, extract with small sheet metal screws" technique described by a member here. Hasn't leaked since.

SmilinSam
Thanks Bill, that makes my day. Worst part will be removing the control parts on the front of the shaft. if the roll pin comes out decently wont be so bad though. Mine is leaking at both ends, but the rear one is the worst, so will replace that one firstt and see how it is afterwards.