Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Still need Help Identifying Landlord

bowhunt4life

Hello, New to the forum but have had many simplicity and allis's. I am not much of a gear head but will be self taught working on my landlord. I recently picked up a simplicity landlord at a garage sale for $275. The MFG number is 314 The Motor numbers are; Model 23d Type no. 0129 01 Serial no. 58968 Based on what I can find the landlord is a 1964 with a 1968 motor? What are your thoughts on identifying the year this baby was produced? Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris--yes, yours is a '64. It was just called a "64 Landlord"--Not 101 or any other number designation or anything like that. By the date code on the engine it does look like a repower. The original engines were 23d's though, so you're good there.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I was puzzled. Not that I am too concerned about the later engine. Everything seems to be tight and she runs just fine. I am hoping to replace the seat or recover and find RH and LH panels and then start cutting the grass. I do need to change the oil and am not sure how much to re-add. Any suggestions for amount on these 9hp motors and type of oil? Thanks, Chris

WELCOME; You can go to this site and type in your MFG# that is 990314 and get the manuals for it. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/

Welcome. You should consider becoming a member ($10) and gain access to the other parts of the site, and be allowed to post and reference pictures. You'll probably find your pics deleted by "management".

As a fellow '64 owner, congrats! The oil quantity is "fill it to the opening" unless it has a dipstick. The old ones were simple that way. Make sure to check your gearbox oils also. The trans oil gets pretty milky after a while.

Thank you all for your feedback. I truly plan to utilize this site and promptly paid my dues for the year. My plan for the '64 is to check all fluid levels, sharpen blades, new plug and mow this summer and fall. Then, I plan on disassembling and making a winter project to restore this lady to a real beauty, not she isn't a beauty now. Are there any places for parts, such as a new steering wheel, seats or hub cabs online that I can find landlord parts besides ebay? Also is it common for a 1964 tractor to have a different year motor? Did that occur from the factory? Thanks again and I look forward to all your expertise. Chris

Not sure where you guys are getting the engine dated as a 68. The 23 D's were too early for the code set of numbers which I dont think started till 1967 . As far as I know the serial numbers didnt have the date printed in them. I think Simpletractors has a list of the serial number ranges and the production years associated with them. I printed them out from in here somewhere long time ago.

I was told by a neighbor that the last two digits in the motor serial number would tell me what year the motor was. Maybe he was wrong. I am going to go with the 1964 Landlord title. Thanks, Chris

Chris, Dating tractors is hard to do. Simplicity did not date their tractors, instead the build models (landlord, barons, etc). So a tractor built in 1963 could be sold in 63 or 64 or even 65. The best way to date your tractor is to note the range of years that particular model was made and assuming the motor was not replaced the year of the motor. Understanding of course a 1963 engine could be put into a 63 or a 64 tractor. Sometimes you can use small changes in the model to date the tractor. Sorry it is not an exact science like dating a car is. Rick..........

You can date your 23D here.... http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/data4.html#23D ... Only made from 63-65. Gary

quote:
Originally posted by bowhunt4life
I was told by a neighbor that the last two digits in the motor serial number would tell me what year the motor was. Maybe he was wrong. I am going to go with the 1964 Landlord title. Thanks, Chris
1st two digits of the code number is the year of manufacture - if its new enough to have the code. On such engines there is MODEL # TYPE # CODE #

Well it is official! After all the insight and deciphering my Landlord is 1964! That is 8 years BC (before chris). Thanks for all your efforts you all have been a huge help. Thanks again and I look forward to contributing. Chris