Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Did I burn something up?

AC_B-1Novice

The 7012 was running last night with the old busted amp meter. I put a new one on (accidentally wired it wrong the first time) and now the tractor will not start. If I go directly to the starter it will crank but no spark. Have I screwed up something or can a solenoid be good and then bad? All safety switches have been wired direct while I'm working on this. larry :(

is the case of the amp meter insulated from the metal on the dash of the tractor ?. Some of the amp meters are not internally insulated and thus will ground everything out if not insulated.

If I take the wires off the new amp meter and let them disconnected should the tractor start? The amp meter as far as I can tell just sticks through the hole in the dash so it would seem that it connects to ground on the body. I can take a picture if that would help. larry

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
If I take the wires off the new amp meter and let them disconnected should the tractor start?
No, the circuit cannot be completed with those wires loose.

You can isolate everything else by connecting the two wires from the ammeter together because the meter itself completes the circuit. If it starts with the key, then the problem lies within the ammeter.