Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

B-210 ammeter question

I just wired my B-210 to specs and the starter now works good and the generator seems to be charging. The problem is that my ammeter shows a negative charge instead of a positive charge. I double checked the terminals on the meter and all is hooked up right according to the schematic. What would cause this and how would I fix it? Should I just fudge and reverse the wires on the meter? I am showing about 14 amps charging (negative at the moment), is this overcharging? I have a new battery installed and I don't want to cook it.

carter
14 amps is a bit much if the battery started at full charge before cranking. You will eventually boil the battery dry at that rate. Have you checked the voltage across the battery while charging? At 14 amps it ought to be about 15 volts. If it is just swap the wires on the ammeter and get the regulator adjusted. If your voltage is below 12 you have a short and the ammeter is working properly. Ron

Thanks for the info. I did check the voltage across the battery and it was 14.2 volts with the engine running. I am curious as to why the meter is running backwards when I have the positive and negative terminal wired correctly according to the schematic.

PhilD
With the engine not running, turn the key on and place something that is a load on the battery. Like raise and lower the deck, engage an electric clutch. Even the coil (bat ign) should give enough draw. If the amp meter shows a positive draw then the meter is wired backwards if not then there is something else wrong. Just my two cents. Hope it helps Phil D