Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

What Did I Do?

laytonlight
Well, I’ve done it now. I bought the property next to mine that includes a small rental house and a huge two bay commercial garage. It has an addition on the back of it that was used as a machine shop at one time. The photos below show the front of the shop, which includes one bay. The other half has been divided up into separate rooms and an office has been added on the front of that side. I’m going to get rid of that and take down the walls of the separate rooms and will have that commercial sized bay for myself. The other bay is going to continue to be rented by the former owner for playing around with his antique Fords. He’s selling off a ton of stuff that he currently has stored there, if there are any Ford aficionados interested in anything, he has engine blocks, engines, hubcaps, drive trains, and on and on. He has a two year lease with me and I’ve given him a year to get it pared down to using just one bay. The garage includes the compressor shown below, which appears to have all the capacity I’ll ever need. It doesn’t show in the photo, but the flywheel on the back of it, which has three drive belts going from the motor to it, is massive. The chain hoist is also overkill for anything I’ll ever do. It moves horizontally on the I-beam and the I-beam rides on two others, so essentially, it covers the whole back addition to the shop. I have to do some roof repair in the back shop and I plan on renting that out for storage or possibly an artist if there is one around who would need that sort of space. (This is a college town after all.) The rental house is also shown below. I also included a photo of my 2010 waiting to be restored to use as my weekly mower. That’s the other thing; I also bought myself more mowing. My lot is about 1.25 acres, of which I currently mow about 2/3 of. The lot that came with the other property is 2.25 acres and I’ll be mowing about 1 acre of that. So, I think I’ll need to get the 2010 going with its Briggs 16 horse re-power going, or the Mutt will give out on me by the end of the summer. God bless its ugly little heart. Its gone five years with nothing more than belts and bearings and one weld job on a spindle on the deck. Say what you want about Kohler engines that 14 horse runs like a clock. Anyway, I’ve written enough. I hope I didn't overdo it with the photos, but everone likes pictures, right? It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, so I thought I’d make up for it with volume! Oh, by the way, yes, I am now up to my eyeballs in debt, but I think it will work out in the long run and provide some income down the road.

laytonlight
Thanks for all of the compliments folks! sm06 Right now a lot of it is potential. Once he gets a lot of his stuff out of there I'll be doing some work on the inside. My first step is to take care of some leaks that have developed in the roof, especially the back addition. They put on this funky metal slat mobile home type roof that is leaking pretty good in a couple of spots. I don't know why they did that, there's a good rafter system there that a pressed wood base can go on and then some sort of rolled roof. The rest of the roof is riveted metal with ridges that the rivets (Or maybe screws, I haven't gotten up there to look yet!) go through. I'll have to look around about how to seal that. Levi, I'll get over there and take some more photos and I'll ask some about the operation of it. The main I-Beam is at least 16". It's massive, I'd hate to think what just that beam would cost! $ But it spans the whole back of the shop, so it would have to be that big. Also the whole thing is supported by steel girders. You can see one of them in the one photo. I'll have to get up there and check the capacity of the hoist also. Question for the keepers of the site. Should I move this to shop talk? Wasn't sure when I posted it. Let me know if I need to move it.

Sign in to follow this