Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Impossible to Find Valves

buick455

Maybe Someone Can Help Me,I Have An Allis Chalmers B212 Lawn Tractor With A 12 HP Briggs Engine That was Ceased When I Got it. I Have Rebuild The Engine But I Cannot Find The Right Intake And Exhaust Valve For This Engine,The Original part numbers for these valves were 261207 for the exhaust and 261206 for the intake. These numbers do not exist anymore,and a couple of people tried to tell me that the new numbers are 394436 for the exhaust and 394435 for the intake.I've tried these valves and they are too long,they will not work,If Anybody can Help Me,That Would Be Awesome,Thanks. The Model Number is 300421,Type 0127-01,and code 7004171.Have A Great day!

Unless you are replacing the seats too, you will most likely need to grind a little off of any new valve.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Unless you are replacing the seats too, you will most likely need to grind a little off of any new valve.
Even with new seats a little grinding is usually needed to get proper clearances since the valves are made a little long to compensate for lifter and cam wear. The new part numbers listed are correct btw.

if you can't find anything send me a message. i will check my parts inventory. see if i have any extras, i just picked up some extra parts. I just may have a few, not sure though.

quote:
Originally posted by buick455
Maybe Someone Can Help Me,I Have An Allis Chalmers B212 Lawn Tractor With A 12 HP Briggs Engine That was Ceased When I Got it. I Have Rebuild The Engine But I Cannot Find The Right Intake And Exhaust Valve For This Engine,The Original part numbers for these valves were 261207 for the exhaust and 261206 for the intake. These numbers do not exist anymore,and a couple of people tried to tell me that the new numbers are 394436 for the exhaust and 394435 for the intake.I've tried these valves and they are too long,they will not work,If Anybody can Help Me,That Would Be Awesome,Thanks. The Model Number is 300421,Type 0127-01,and code 7004171.Have A Great day!
John, have you tried Jack's Small engine warehouse?

Sorry everybody For not responding,I Checked Jacks small engines,all they come up with is the 394436 number.No Luck with Pats Either. I brought The Valves To a couple Of Machine Shops And They Wont Touch Them,I dont UnderStand? Can I Grind These Myself?

If you have no luck finding valves below is a source to have them made up. These are better quality than original but are not cheap. They will require grinding the stem for clearance. Had a pair made a few years ago that were NLA for a M20 Kohler. Send them the valve and they will make them up. Last two were $101.00. http://www.vogelmanufacturing.com/

You certainly can grind these yourself. The key is to have a flat grinding surface, and to fab some kind of jig that will keep the valve stem square with the surface. Once clearanced, you want to dress the stem, and get any burrs or leftover bits clinging to the edges of the stem from grinding. In a service school a few years ago, I remember seeing a jig setup on the side of a grinding wheel. That would work, so long as you keep the pressure to a minimum- grinding wheels aren't designed for thrust loading. The key is to go slow, and check often for proper valve clearance. How much material are we talking about here? You'll also want to get the seats real clean and then use some lapping compound to ensure that you're getting a good seal. There are different grades of lapping compound- I've always just used the fine stuff, but you could get a couple different grits and it might go faster.

Ok,I will Try To Set Up A jig And Try Grinding Them,It Doesn't Sound Too Hard But I will Find out,Thanks And If All Else fails I Will Try The Website That StanD Gave Me. Thanks For Your Help

Find an old time auto repair shop or auto machine shop with a real mechanic who knows how to grind valves. Many old shops still have a valve grinding machine which has a fixture for holding the valve and correctly grinding the stem. You will also need to take the engine so the mechanic can measure the clearance and grind the stem length to fit.

You might check your local community college. They might have an automotive or diesel mechanic program, in which case they will have a valve grinding machine. Heck check your local high school. Many schools are happy to take in work for their shop programs. Some charge a little, some don't.

Thanks for all your help,I Will Try All of your suggestions,What Do I Have To Lose anyway,My Grass Is Up To My Hip And I Need My Valves!!! Lol

Well, the new numbers for a 300421 (12hp) are 394435 intake valve and 39446 exhaust valve. I can get them aftermarket and new OEM have never had a problem with aftermaket parts. The 12hp uses the same size valves as the 16hp Briggs 326431.