Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

??? New B&S Starter / Generator ???

Recommended Posts

larry8200
Anyone used one of the aftermarket Starter/generator's for the old Brigs available the last few years on ebay and other places for $125-$150? Thanks for any of your experiences or knowledge, Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
Anyone used one of the aftermarket Starter/generator's for the old Brigs available the last few years on ebay and other places for $125-$150? Thanks for any of your experiences or knowledge, Larry
I used one on my 725 and never had a problem with it. Worked fine, biggest PITA was moving the pulley over lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larry8200
YOW, I bet
quote:
Originally posted by mortation
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
Anyone used one of the aftermarket Starter/generator's for the old Brigs available the last few years on ebay and other places for $125-$150? Thanks for any of your experiences or knowledge, Larry
I used one on my 725 and never had a problem with it. Worked fine, biggest PITA was moving the pulley over lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrSteele
I was at a flea market early this morning, and watched a young man buy a used one for $200. When he asked the vendor how much, the response was $200, and the guy shelled it out with haste. It was on a 16 HP Briggs, and the price on the engine was $350. I'd easily pay $125-150 for a new one if I needed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
I was at a flea market early this morning, and watched a young man buy a used one for $200. When he asked the vendor how much, the response was $200, and the guy shelled it out with haste. It was on a 16 HP Briggs, and the price on the engine was $350. I'd easily pay $125-150 for a new one if I needed it.
I replaced the original starter with a rebuilt unit about 6 years ago. The price was about $200 and required trade in of a rebuildable starter. The replacement unit was an older style that had a bushing and oil wick instead of a bearing. About 6 weeks after I was running it, The bushing came apart causing severe vibration. I shut it down quickly but the damage was done, the end plate was damaged and about 8 of the armature conductors broke free from the commutator. A friend with a small machine shop helped me bore the end plate oversize, and we put a steel bushing and a needle roller bearing set from Mcmaster-Carr in it. I was able to re-solder the commutator connections with a small torch, spring clamps and a lot of foul language. I have never trusted the bearing or the soldering, although time is proving me wrong. Still, I want to at least get a spare on the shelf as I depend on the tractor (only have one!). If the $125 aftermarket units from china only last a few years, I don't want one at any cost, I'll find a good used one, send the armature to a pro shop and do the rest myself. Thanks Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larry8200
A fovorite quote: "The performance of a poor product is remembered long after the cheap price tag is forgotten" -unknown I always buy the best I can afford, It's why I like Simplicity sm01 Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brettw
quote:
A fovorite quote: "The performance of a poor product is remembered long after the cheap price tag is forgotten" -unknown I always buy the best I can afford, It's why I like Simplicity
If that doesn't apply to tools, I don't know what does. I am in whole hearted agreement on this thought process!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×