Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrostatic seal leak Allis 416

jimcanoe

WELCOME; This has been stated before, Most of the vickers hydros not only need seals but also they need to be resleved to stop the leak.

Wipe it down as good as you can so you can tell where it is really leaking from. Is it a Vickers or Sunstrand? Might be a simple as an axle seal.

If it is near the bottom, it may not be the hydrostat leaking, it could be an axle seal ... Welcome to the site! Dan

You have to be a paying member to post pictures. More than likely the pintle shaft leaking. I have only seen one that didn`t leak. Everything below it would be wet.

I'll try to clean it up real good this weekend and see what I can learn about it's origin. For years I have just added transmission fluid every so often, but now it is leaving a pool of perhaps a couple of tablespoons per week. Thanks for the input. If I could fix it that would be kinda fun, but I don't want to get in over my head.

Pull the unit off, The o-ring sealing the lower unit to trans/diff housing is most likely NG. Use new o-ring, sealer around mating surfaces. Be sure surfaces are very clean and do not overdo the sealer. There are 2 plug holes you can drill out and fill with sealer if you like. Your second area will be the shafts as discused in previous post, you could need a re-bushed housing if out spec. There are small lip seals on cross shafts that may also be leaking. Need to get real clean, and find where oil is coming from

• 3 weeks later...
After cleaning it up and looking at the parts manual, it looks like it is coming from the part called the "ROD, control" coming out of the pump. It was coming out pretty clear after filling the reservoir. Next problem occured today. While running just fine the spark plug blew out of the cylinder head and the threads in the head are no good. I assume I will need a new cylinder head now. Why would this have happened? Thanks for any advise. Jim

sorry to hear your woes... as I have read ....the shaft had a TSB 20 years ago from vickers... sperry rand.... rebush the shaft and no more leak... you can get it done local at a good machine shop. there is an article on it simpletractors somewhere... hundy or so... sorry to hear it but the vickers is a good unit... long history of good hydro pumps for many applications... as per my dad... mfg engineer...