Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K321

Brettw

Just finished rebuilding this engine, it is taking the place of a 12 horse that has been recently rebuild, but has a gremlin I just can't track down. Going into my 7112H

Updated already: Runs as good as it looks. Ran if for about a half hour and changed out the oil, and then cut the grass. Pulls like a mule. Feeling pretty good right about now :D

It looks like you went through quite a few "cold ones " to complete that rebuildd:) Nice work.... Dan

Brett, What are you going to with the 12 horse? Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114H

The 12 horse has this one and only gremlin: It runs like no other, strong, powerful, starts instantly, great power. BUT, after it gets good and warm, it suddenly (quite suddenly) acts like it is under a very HEAVY load. Darn near kills, almost like it is ready to seize. It is not seizing or coming close, because when you throttle down it is manageable, and if you shut it off it starts right up. It was rebuilt by a guy who has exceptional attention to detail, and as a matter of fact, rebuilds motorcycle race engines. A complete rebuild with new parts. I have taken it back off the tractor, torn it down, looked inside and can see nothing wrong. I checked every clearance, valves, ring end gap, etc. Everything is right on the button. I have replaced the coil, and everything else that has been recommended. Still the same problem. And it is a real disappointment. All new innards, machined and done correctly, but it has major issues when it gets to a certain temp. So now I have a 12 horse with maybe 40 hours on it, and it is sitting. But the 14 is running like a champ! I will likely really look into the motor now just because it is a challenge, or see if someone is willing to buy it and find the gremlin themselves.

PS:
quote:
It looks like you went through quite a few "cold ones " to complete that rebuild
Is there another way I am not aware of? :o)

Storm: Her I am trying to upgrade from a 12 to a 14 hp, and you are down grading from a 3 to a 1.6 gpf 8D

Brettw, A piece of advice for your 12 hp Kohler, check ALL electrical connections going to the engine. My 916H used to do the same thing as you 12 and it turned out to be loose connections on the ammeter and circuit breaker. Just something for you to check. Brandon

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Storm: Her I am trying to upgrade from a 12 to a 14 hp, and you are down grading from a 3 to a 1.6 gpf 8D
:D:D:D

Hey storm, I had a Simplicity 7016 with a B&S in and it would ways fall on its face. But I did make it run good. All the way to the junk yard.

quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
Hey storm, I had a Simplicity 7016 with a B&S in and it would ways fall on its face. But I did make it run good. All the way to the junk yard.
You junked one just cause you couldn't get it running right....shame on you.

i am glad my wife doesn't read this site or i would be redoing our bathroom in that color of pink!!!!oh crap she's coming, gotta go...nothing honey, just simpletractors....sm03

Yeah............the pink. I wasn't going to comment, but......... I'm just sayin'.......&:) PS That's gotta be right out of the Kohler brochure.

quote:
A piece of advice for your 12 hp Kohler, check ALL electrical connections going to the engine. My 916H used to do the same thing as you 12 and it turned out to be loose connections on the ammeter and circuit breaker. Just something for you to check.
That could be possible, but not likely. The new 14 horse is unaffected. I am almost thinking timing, or some other issue. Maybe a crazy valve that grows a bit more than normal, hence the tappet clearance is not enough, even though to specs? It's goofy. Thanks for the insight though, I will check it out. Too good of a motor to just send out to pasture.

Brett, after reading your comments on the 12 horse it brough back memories of that same exact problem i had years ago with a 10 horse Kohler. I had just tuned it up new points ,condenser,valve adjustment ...etc. I solved the mystery by re-adjusting the points to .019". now any time i tune a kohler i set the points at .019" If you get a chance give this a try....... Dan

quote:
Brett, after reading your comments on the 12 horse it brough back memories of that same exact problem i had years ago with a 10 horse Kohler. I had just tuned it up new points ,condenser,valve adjustment ...etc. I solved the mystery by re-adjusting the points to .019". now any time i tune a kohler i set the points at .019" If you get a chance give this a try.......
That I will do. Timing or dwell is about all I haven't tried adjusting. Thanks

I have had that problem from a slightly low carb-float level quite a few times. Such as it can keep up with the demand up to 3/4 throttle but at full it runs down to sputtering in 10 mins. Back down to half and it runs fine. Something to consider.

In this case it is not fuel related. It will run just fine for as long as a half hour (longer in the cold, blowing snow). It is a heat related issue of some kind. Something finally gets good and warm/hot and acts like it is under a very heavy load.