Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another deck question...

Burntime

I have welded over and over the 1/2 inch bar with the rollers on my 48 inch deck only for it to break in another spot. Hopefully someone will know... 1) Is it just a standard 1/2 inch stock that I can replace it with? Is it hardened some way? 2) Where can I get some quality rollers? Mine are all worn on the inside and I am sure they are worn on the outside. I remember someone posting about a boat roller but can't locate the post. Any help is appreciated. I have a 42 inch deck I can put on for the time being but want to get it repaired asap. Tripple thanks!:D

I have drilled the inside of rollers out to take 1/2" PVC inside and put them back on. I think the rod is just cold rolled.:D

I have been planning on getting boat trailer rollers from East Marine for a while. They come in various sizes but solid rubber is about half the value there as it is for the OEM version.

http://www.yatesrubber.com/Boat_Roller_Products.html There is a style here that should work...anyone try these? Not sure on price yet...

Well I picked up the 5/8 inch rod. Now I have to figure out the rollers and spacers between them. I measured the old ones and they are a little under 2 1/4, anyone know what the NEW diameter was? The ones I am looking at are 2.5 inchs and I may extend the roller guides another half an inch to raise the deck more. The old middles are open like 7/8 of an inch. My guess is the rollers should be 2.5 inchs. I have to have lost almost 1/2 inch of height just being well worn. Anyone know if it is worth it to extend the height adjustments?

quote:
http://www.yatesrubber.com/Boat_Roller_Products.html
I am getting a quote from these guys as we speak. I'll let everyone know what comes back.

The 12 inch ones are 8 bucks each. I just ordered 4 to go with the new 5/8 inch rod I bought. Hopefully I don't need to put the spare 42 inch deck on before the parts come but the lawn guy just sprayed. Thinking it will be a jungle by monday...

quote:
The 12 inch ones are 8 bucks each.
If this is correct, and they work correctly, it's the best deal in town! :D

Hey, these decks, (with everything tight) have a maximum cutting height of 3-1/8". When it get's real dry, I'd really like to mowing about 4"

I am debating on cutting the height adjustment and doing just what you have said...adding 3/4 of an inch to it to bring the height up. Heck, just being back in specs will make a difference! I have to check to see if the antiscald front wheels would still hit...Not quite sure how it would work... Has anyone done this? Monday I am getting some stuff at Farm and Fleet and will buy the flat stock, the wheels should be here by Wednesday!