Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Should these in the picture pop up?

AC_B-1Novice

This is a cap from a pipe at the rear end of my 7012. It is very rusted and I need to know if this is supposed to pop up like the one on the left rear does. Also there is a third cap with what looks like a dipstick nearly under the seat. Is that supposed to be full to the top? Any info on these will be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing no. It looks like that is where they were parted off the hex bar stock when they were machined on a screw machine lathe.

Where was this one? It sure looks like the vent cap on a hydro. And the one "under the seat" is the BGB. No you don't fill it to the top... you drain it then fill it only until the oil (90WT gear oil) barely touches the bottom of of the dipstick WITHOUT the dipstick being screwed in... you just lay it in the hole. If the oil touches the bottom you have the right amount of fluid in it.

To me, it looks like the arrow is pointing at a bolt. The cap in the first picture looks like the cap on the hydro fill pipe circled in red in this pic:

It's a solid cap. The pipe it is attached to is where you fill the tranny. It is filled to the top. The cap needs to be well sealed or it will weep fluid. When filling, you manually lift the center part of the "vent cap" shown next. The "vent cap" mentioned by Scott is shown circled in red in this pic:

Bill..great pictures! Those are the exact things I so poorly described and thanks to all who offered help. I wish mine looked like that. Also the slant of that idler pulley is quite evident and means mine is ok. Tell me how you cleaned it up like that to paint it. larry

Larry, The tractor is relatively new, it's my 75th Anniversary Sovereign that I picked up last fall. It's lived inside all it's life. It was muddy and dinged, not especially rusty. However, the blue/grey frame paint isn't very good. I added a green circle to the first pic above where you can see peeled paint that I missed painting over. The paint seems porous and apparently no primer was used (unless the primer color is same since the underside of peeled paint is the same blue/grey color). Moisture (??) gets under the paint and slightly rusts the metal and the paint comes off in small "sheets". If you look close, you can see the spots. My "touch up" became much more work than I expected.

Larry, yours can look that good too! Just do some cleanup, scuff the paint with sandpaper, and use a good grease remover and you can hit it with gloss black.. it'll look like new. I would refrain from getting paint on the hydro unit itself (the aluminum case). I suspect that you have a longer horizontal nipple between the trans case and the ell, where it turns up to the fill pipe. That would explain why your fill tube is on the left side instead of the right. Why though is anyone's guess.

I have discovered a great looking paint for the transaxle and bgb. It is Valspar "Wrought Iron" black from TSC. It is a satin finish, not flat or glossy. I don't know how it will hold up under heat and heavy use, but it looks nice on my project. It comes in a rattle can.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Where was this one? It sure looks like the vent cap on a hydro. And the one "under the seat" is the BGB. No you don't fill it to the top... you drain it then fill it only until the oil (90WT gear oil) barely touches the bottom of of the dipstick WITHOUT the dipstick being screwed in... you just lay it in the hole. If the oil touches the bottom you have the right amount of fluid in it.
I believe hydro oil is recommended for the the 7000 series BGBs. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22258

Most L&G grade paint jobs are dip or primerless anymore. The "primer" if used is a phosphate etch wash that supposedly resists rust but does not always work to promote adhesion. It is a process that works most of the time, but the slightest contamination will ruin it.

The best trick I've found on the "vent cap" when filling a Sundstrand hydro is simply to unscrew it from the elbow. Sure beats trying to hold it up while your trying to fill it