Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re-power a Powermax with an Onan from a Craftsman?

midnightpumpkin

Has anyone had any experience attempting to install an Onan CCKA from a Craftsman tractor into a Powermax? I do not have an original Onan to swap any parts from so I would need to use the complete engine from the craftsman. Thanks for any input. John U

this might not apply in your case but... Sears, and therefore Craftsman, is well known for having odd size crankshafts. they require the supplier of their motors to turn the end of the crank so that, as an example, if the shaft was 1 inch originally, it would be 7/8ths inch. this would neccessitate using a special pulley which, oddly enough, only Sears carried. you could not just drop in any old engine when your "Sears" labelled b&s or tecumseh motor died. it had to be one bought thru, who else?, Sears. and if you did put any old b&s/tec in the machine, your pulley would not fit the crankshaft. the point of this mini-rant (when i was finding this out the hard way there was a MAXIE-rant and noone came near the garage!)is that you should measure the diameter of the crank on both your old engine and your donor engine before committing to using any motor from a Sears product. good luck

My question became a moot point today when my friend JimDk pointed out to me that there was an Onan CCKB from a Powermax in the club classifeds. I was able to buy it, and it's only an hour away to pick it up. I was not able to see the crankshaft end of the sears onan, but the flywheel is completely different than the one used on the Powermax engines. John U