Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well I finally got a torch set!

Burntime

Looks to be in good shape and at least half way full of gas. Now I just need a project to use them on! I have to call my buddy to go over the gauge settings too. Been a while since I used a set.

lucky you :D, i had a nice big set here my buddy left with me for 3 yrs and then took them. i got spoiled and now i have to get me a set.

This is about waste heigth and labeled Q size so I think its about perfect. Any bigger and it would be a pain to wrestle with. These move easy and should have quite a while full of gas...

That's just big enough to get ya in trouble!d:) Seriously, I have the next size larger, I wouldn't be without 'em.

Yep, I should have some fun once I get the settings down. The only thing I am missing is the goggles and the t handle to turn the acetylene valve on. Will pick that up tomorrow or next week and have my buddy come over and give me the nickel tour on them. I have used them when someone set them up for me, but have never had to fine tune them from the get go...

Hey, Mike--How'd you get a nane like Burntime without having a gas wrench???:D

I have a set with the next size down in bottles. They work out OK for heating and small cutting jobs, but if you are doing a lot of burning, cutting scrap, they run out quick. But the "fire wrench" is a very good addition to the tool box.

Roy, just got the tip it came with. Going to have to research to see which tips for what. I know what the rosebud looks like so my guess is I have a cutting tip. Toomanytractors, I actually joined a hearth website and used the burntime name in like 2 seconds. After that I just carried it over to other forums. Good news is the wrench is in my future!:D

Well I broke the bank... The t handle to turn on the acetylene was a whole 1.99, wow, nothing is 2 bucks anymore!

If all you are going to use them for is cutting and heating a Propane-Oxygen set up is alot cheaper to operate. Dosn't look like a cutting head with cutting tip, Cutting head has a thumb lever for extra air, looks like a small welding head and tip. Safety rule on the T handle no more than a quarter turn open on the acetylene tank.

Thats the kind of info I need. Thats why I don't want to fire it up until my buddy comes over. It actually does have the lever for extra air. I have a second torch head, hoses and guages as well. I will probably use that torch head since it looks like new and is a good american made co.

Maynard. Take another look. The torch handle has the oxygen lever. It's right in front of the knobs and the tip is at 90 degrees to the handle and poking out between wraps of the hose. B10Dave

Maynard is right on propane being a LOT cheaper to heat and cut with, that's all I use except when I try to weld or braze something. You do need different tips for using propane on your cutting or rosebud though.

quote:
Originally posted by toomanytractors
Hey, Mike--How'd you get a nane like Burntime without having a gas wrench???:D
Yeah, what the heck? I call Party Foul!!sm06 What Maynard said, never open the acetylene too far, and open both slowly!

Mike, Just a couple tips for you. Get a set of the anti-burnback units and attach them between the torch and the hose. If you turn the oxygen off before the acetylene or the acetylene is leaking slightly, the burning will continue inside the torch. I did this once and when I picked the torch up to put everything away, I burned the impression of the torch into my hand. OUCH! If this had gone on much longer it would have moved into the hose and melted it. Then I would have had a mess with a hose on fire. My BIL told me about the anti-burnback units and showed me the ones on his torches. Also, you will find that the torch is great for de-rusting parts that have a medium to heavy rust build-up on them. The rust, which is iron oxide burns readily when hit with the flame. Also if it is layered the outside layer will easily loosen up when it is hit with the flame so that you can scrape it off. With a big rust build-up you may have to go over the surface several times. You do not heat up the metal, you just go over the surface lightly with the torch to flash the rust off. IT WORKS!! I use this technique quite often, and Marty said he also uses it. Just to let you know, I am the ODDBALL with torches. Even though I have the cutting torch setup, I have never used it with my torches. I use them for heating and welding. I use the torch to weld thin items because you have much better control than with arc. After you get used to welding with gas, you will be able to see the way the metal is melting and use the torch to smooth out rough welds and move the metal around. A torch set is very handy once you learn what all you can do with them. Oh, by-the-way, you cannot cut cast iron with a torch. I cut all my cast iron with arc. Wish you were close-by so I could show you some of these things in person.

Some rules of thumb when using oxyacetylene torches. 1. With "new to you" equipment, spray everything down with soapy water and check for leaks. The only thing that really goes bad are the o-rings and seals, and the diaphragms in the regulators. 2. You use the same size welding tip as your rod, also your rod should be the same thickness as the workpiece. You won't be using a gas torch for joining two pieces of metal together thicker than say 3/16". 3. Start out with about 7 psi. acetylene and 20 psi. oxygen. That includes using the cutting torch. Lastly,,,, bleed the lines when you are finished. Acetylene first!! Always Always turn on or off the acetylene first. Orange then green Always Always!!!!!

Thanks guys, this is the info I need. Rod, I actually have a mig and stick welder so I may try welding with the torch but do not have to. I got it more for cutting and heating up stuff...

Burntime, Now that you have the torch set you'll wonder how you ever lived this long without it. I'll add my 2 cents worth to go along with the good advice you've received so far. Open the oxy valve all the way open. The valves on high pressure cylinders seal at the top (open position) to prevent leakage during use. The acetylene tank should only be open about 1/2 to 1 turn and leave the t-handle on the valve so that you can quickly shut off the tank in case of emergency. Be safe and have fun.