Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Am I missing something?

metaldr

I recently picked up a Simplicity 5010 and got it running today. When I try to change gears the tranny grinds. If I stop and push in the clutch/brake the drive pulley on the tranny will stop but as soon as I put it in neutral the pulley starts spinning again. If I try to put it in any gear with the pully spinning it grinds. I don't have any experience with this style of tractor so I hope someone can help me out. Thanks, Bruce

Down load the operators manual and follow the procedure of adjusting belt guides on the engine side for the transmission belt. I'll bet they are not set close enough to the engine pulley not allowing the belt to disengage when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

I have a 5008 that I got for free it did that for me as well. It stopped after I got the sludge out of the trans. and replaced it with good lube. Mine was original lube when I got it. it looked like pudding. hope that helps I agree with BLT also make sure the belt stops are in the right place also

Belt stops are not set right as suggested already. The ones up at the engine need to be set close so that when clutch is pushed the belt puckers forward off the drive pulley, but they cant touch when the belt is driving. Aslo the stop at the idler pulley near tractor center is more critical as if set right it will hold the belt stopped when the clutch is pushed in. I have found that the belt will stop easier if the tractor is in gear when clutch is pushed, so to test the system its best to do so with the tractor in nuetral.

One other thing, when in nuetral the belt will tendto coast to a stop, even if the belt stops are set right. You can look down in the middle of the tractor and watch the pulley and see when it comes to a stop. If one trys to shift whoile its still moving its going to grind.

I adjusted the belt guides and that fixed the grinding problem. One of the guides was loose enough that it had been swinging back and forth and not even coming close to the belt. I mowed about 1/2 acre but the tranny started not shifting right and will not go into reverse or neutral. I may have damaged the tranny by shifting with the belt still spinning!? I'll save that problem for another day. I changed the tranny oil as thatlevi suggested but the old oil didn't look too bad. The shifting problem started before I changed the oil and it didn't have any effect on that problem. Thank you all for your help. Bruce