Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

312H axle tube job

sammiefish

tore into the axle tube job today... ive got a couple questions... first... what is the best way to get the pulley off the hydro... i know a puller on a mower deck pulley can bend it bad... second.... when i tried to remove the left wheel hub it seemed like it would come off.. i even got the key out.. .but it seems like the axle is pulling out of the right hub... ive got 1/2 to 3/4" space now on the left side between the differential and the hub but the axle hasnt moved on the left side relative to the hub.... also, I expected the square head bolts on the left hub to be pointed... are the pointed ones on the "cap" of the right hub...??? any advice??? I will post pics but im getting an unfamiliar error of "save failed"

The ones I've done have the left hub welded to the axle shaft, so unfortunately I can't offer help on that one. As far as the pulley on the hydro... I have removed two of them. The shaft mushrooms out with age, so a puller won't work. What I do is take a reciprocating saw and cut the pulley off (be very careful not to let the blade touch the seal around the shaft). Just cut the pulley in two and throw it away. New ones aren't cheap but you don't want to take a chance damaging the pump. When you to go reinstall, take some emery cloth and pull up and down on it (with the cloth in a "U" shape) to polish the hydro shaft, before sliding the new pulley on. Can you post some pics?

still cant post pictures.... so I should be pulling the R hub first??? by removing the "cap" off the end of the axle on the differential side of the axle?? Ive got the R collar and hub off... how do I get the differential off of the axle... unbolt the 6 or 8 bolts closest to the transaxle? heat, mallet, hammer and a puller isnt working on the L hub...grrrrr... it sure would be easier to post pictures...

See Reed's post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18062 I think it'll answer a bunch of your questions. You're probably aware there are 2 set screws on the left hub, 180 deg from each other. If I remember correctly, the one not on the key was pointed, and in my case broken off half way down. I had to drill it out. Once it was removed, the hub came off with a 3 jaw puller.

well, i couldnt get the L hub off so i went at it from the other side in the service manual it says to remove the retaining ring then remove the keys and the differential can come off... well, i wouldnt know how to remove the keys with the diff still on so i pulled it with the 3 jaw... I seem to have damaged i think 2 thrust washers inside the differential on the case side... as i pulled them over the keys... grrr. hope i can get these washers... havent really looked at it as now ill have to disassemble the differential to get to it... I noticed that the bushings in the new axle tube are not the brass dimpled bushing ... just a solid steel colored bushing interestingly, the bushing on the cracked side of the tube was working it way out of the tube.... hmmmm...

Here's how to get the diff off and axle out (from memory, don't shoot me guys if I forget something): 1. Loosen the set collar on the left side of the axle, and remove the one on the right side. 2. With a rubber mallet, bang on the left hub (towards the trans) so that the axle shaft slides (inside the tube) towards the right. This will expose the snap ring that normally sits inside the diff. 3. Remove the snap ring. 4. Gently (so you don't drop the keys down into the diff - that is not a pleasant situation) slide the diff off the end of the axle. 5. Remove the axle shaft (pull it out to the left, until it is all the way out) Now you have to decide if you want to remove the trans entirely to replace the tube, or just remove the right side and leave everything else on the machine.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
You're probably aware there are 2 set screws on the left hub, 180 deg from each other. If I remember correctly, the one not on the key was pointed, and in my case broken off half way down. I had to drill it out. Once it was removed, the hub came off with a 3 jaw puller.
I just went out and checked... the pointed one is indeed broken off in the hole which explains why I couldn't get the hub off thanks for the suggestion...I did not notice that it was broken... just that it was not pointed.. I guess its just one more part I need!!