Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hot BGB hydro on 7117

cwm1276

After mowing and sweeping and noticing slight bearing like sounds while mowing I popped the seat up after I was done and found the hydro lift lines and the BGB rather hot to the touch. I cleaned the BGB and the hydro fins. Just wondering what others might think normal should be? What signs might I have if a bearing is going out in the BGB, or how to even check the BGB, especially with the lift lines going over top. I only have this one tractor so I try to plan my down time if possible :)

Carl, On a 7117 there is a dipstick in the BGB. Remove the plug on the top and you will find it has a rod attached to it. As long as you see that the gear oil in on that rod, then it is OK. I use 80W-90 in my BGBs. On your transmission, make sure you have the shroud over the cooling fan. I have seen way too many tractors that are being operated without that shroud because someone took it off to replace a belt and never reinstalled it. Without the shroud, the fan will not blow air over the the hydro pump, which will cause the tranny to overheat.

Rod, I got the plug out, tight fit between the cone clutch and the hydro lift lines sm01. I wiped the dipstick off and screwed it back in finger tight and undid it to check the level and the dipstick came back dry? I then rolled up a paper towel and stuck in their and I soaked up red fluid (ATF?). It is maybe half full? I have my top shroud but my pump was covered with an 1/8 of an inch or more of rather dry dust. I had scraped and blew that off with my air compressor. Hopefully it can cool better. Thanks

Carl, While mowing (especially dry grass), the newer Sundstand hydro inlet fan screens blind over with grass clippings. At least that's been my experience. That will also cut down the hyro cooling. I try and check it every so often when mowing. While sitting in the seat, you can reach behind and under and knock the collected grass off the screen. If not done, usually the grass will drop off later when the tractor isn't running and the grass fully drys. As to the fluid in the BGB. It seems 90 wt gear oil, Dexron ATF (red), and multi purpose hydraulic/transmission fluid are all used by various members with success. Main thing is to keep fluid level the correct. Since your tractor has a hydraulic lift lines going over the top of the BGB, it's most likely a 7100 series and was spec'd for the multipurpose fluid. Someone must have changed it along the way to Dexron. If it were my tractor, I'd keep using Dexron.

Bill, how much should be in it? I would assume it is low if it does not touch the dipstick :D I changed the hydro fluid last year so I have ATF still around to top off the BGB.

The fluid should be just touching the bottom of the dipstick with the plug resting on the top of the BGB case (not screwed in at all). Operators manual says to not overfill. I know I've "overfilled" some of mine to 1/4" covering the dipstick. That level seems to work OK; at least I haven't had any problems yet.

Carl, I just remembered something. When the bearing in the cone clutch pulley assembly went out on my tractor, that whole area got very hot. You may want to check that. I have had two of them go out. When the one on my 716H went bad, it almost ruined the BGB shaft. I had to do some filing and sanding on the shaft to make it usable again with a new bearing. To help save these bearings, I always keep the cone clutch engaged when there is not an attachment hooked up to it. When the clutch is engaged, the bearing does not turn.