Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Odd noise and oil leak with a "new" 3-speed 7010

donmoore1904

I bought a 7010 from the Simplicity dealer for $400, with angled plow from the seat, OEM wheel weights, chains, rear hitch and they threw in a deck that is hardly used. But it looks like the tractor has been used more now that I have it home. This is the B&S motor. I have a three speed 7010 already with a beaten up deck, and non-remote plow, so this was bought mostly for the plow, wheel weights, and the deck. I trusted the guy, so I didn't look too close at the tractor. My bad. I now see two (3?) issues. I can see evidence the head is leaking, as there is dampness on the top at the front right side. Under the tractor, on the front most cross part of the frame, there is a hole right in the center, and there is a very slow oil drip. Another issue that bothers me more is when I let out the clutch, there is an odd rattle that almost sounds like a deck with loose bearings/spindles, but there is *no deck* on the machine. When I come to a stop, and press the clutch in, the rattle remains for several seconds and then goes away. I am worried the rattle is in the bevel box, though I have 0 experience troubleshooting the drivetrain. The driveshaft appears to have ever so slight a wobble compared to my original 7010. I can take it back and at least get the dealer's opinion on severity, though the tractor was sold as is without them going through it. It was advertised to be "working ok". There was a small damp spot on the floor front center I pointed out to the sales guy, but he begged off vouching it came from this machine. I didn't look further as I am not familiar with a leak from there. I have known the dealer for several years, and in fact they clued me in to where to get my first 7010. As far as the head leak and oil at the bottom of the motor, I am hoping the first caused the second, and all I might have to do is replace the gasket. I was going to wait and see what the dealer says before taking it off. Opinions? Tnanks in advance. Don ps I didn't appreciate what good condition my original tractor is in, but the deck is a huge improvement.

Tighten the head bolts. The rattle could be from the idler pulley and linkage. Lift the seat and rear cover and disengage and reengage the clutch/idler pulley by hand and see what is happening.

Thanks for these common sense suggestions. This is a good place to start. I was stuck on the shaft, and didn't think about the pulleys. Wiping off the head and tightening the bolts also a good idea.

I took the head off today, and found a bit of carbon buildup on the plug and in the head. Found a fair amount of oil-soaked dirt around the perimeter of the machined surface and on the fins. The bolts were fairly tight before I removed it, and I noticed on reinstall and torque up they tightened more quickly than my first motor. I am wondering if the gasket can get compressed. I tightened the bolts down and retightened after warmup. I didn't get to the rattle in the drivetrain, as I thought I would "quickly" check the ignition (in another thread)...

Check your split pulley,it should have a teflon bearing and a teflon thrust washer if they a worn out you will get a rattle.

If your head has been leaking oil, re-tightening will not eliminate the leak. These head gaskets are covered with small dimples. When the dimples in a specific portion of the gasket get filled by oil, no matter how you tighten it, the oil will not compress and will leave you with a head leak. If you want to keep the old gasket, then remove the head and clean the oil and carbon off the gasket, head, and cylinder deck. Gaskets can be re-used, I have done it several times.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
If your head has been leaking oil, re-tightening will not eliminate the leak. These head gaskets are covered with small dimples. When the dimples in a specific portion of the gasket get filled by oil, no matter how you tighten it, the oil will not compress and will leave you with a head leak. If you want to keep the old gasket, then remove the head and clean the oil and carbon off the gasket, head, and cylinder deck. Gaskets can be re-used, I have done it several times.
Great to know... i always thought that a re-used head gasket wouldnt last long... the oil thing makes sense as I always oiled my gaskets... as a kid I would make case gaskets out of cardboard and soaked them in oil...there the bad habit began... but the cardboard case gaskets always worked fine.... OO

• 1 month later...
I did have the head off again, and cleaned everything up, and tightened her down. Stopped leaking. Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize what you pointed out - I just lucked into it since I had it off to clean the carbon out.