Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Governor spring missing? 243400 series 10hp B&S

donmoore1904

I am tuning a recently acquired 10hp horizontal B&S, and my original identical well-running motor has an extra spring. On both motors there are two springs from the pivot arm that the throttle cable moves, and they go down to each end of the governor arm. On my good motor, there is a long spring on the entire vertical wire linkage between the governor arm and the carburetor thottle. The top end at the carburetor is jury-rigged, as it passes through the same hole as the linkage. I did feel that when I tuned up my good motor, degunking this third spring made the governor work better at slowing the motor when being driven by the wheels going down hill. Maybe my imagination. Any experts on governors here, that could comment on this setup, the third spring on the grassy knoll, or point me to a tutorial that might cover this? Thanks in advance, Don ps It occurs to me I can go look at the motor parts diagram, but I still would interested in input from experienced people.

"The top end at the carburetor is jury-rigged, as it passes through the same hole as the linkage." Think it is not "jury rigged" but supposed to go there. My take of the spring is that it's purpose is to take the slack out between the link and holes on the throttle and governor levers thus eliminating a small amount of governor "hunt" or maybe improve the governor response. Others may have different ideas.