Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Cleaning up a Shuttle

OrangeMetalGuy
Can a 712 Shuttle rearend be pressure washed to clean it up? Or do I need to keep water out of it. I know enough to keep it away from any seals, but can I clean off the rest of it?

Bailey
Depends to some degree. The older shuttles don't have an actual seal on the back of the outer half-sheave. The newer ones use a different style needle bearing and an oil seal. Probably an update made due to concerns like yours. Can't say that I know which yours would have ........

rsnik
I have owned mainly shuttles and I would say be careful. There is a big "O" ring on the inside of the planetary drive. Power washing can pump water past this "O" ring. Inside the planetary drive there are tiny, caged roller bearings. Water will get into these and your planetary drive will start howling and eventually seize up. I power washed and had howling and seizures very shortly after. I am talking about the planetary drive, of course, not me. BTW, you can use a shuttle with a seized planetary. Think about it you will figure it out. Use the clutch. My planetary was seized so I went out and did some brush hogging with a spare deck in very sandy soil. I had removed the cap off the planetary. The planetary got full of sand. The planetary started working again. The sand crushed the rust that was seizing up the tiny, caged roller bearings. I still have a new planetary drive but the old, sandy one is still going strong.

OrangeMetalGuy
I was careful to keep water out of the planetary. It runs good, but I will go thru the book's instructions and re-adjust everything. I have to get used to this... I am used to moving the hydro lever to the center and the tractor stopping.. on the Shuttle it just keeps rolling along...

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
I have owned mainly shuttles and I would say be careful. There is a big "O" ring on the inside of the planetary drive. Power washing can pump water past this "O" ring. Inside the planetary drive there are tiny, caged roller bearings. Water will get into these and your planetary drive will start howling and eventually seize up. I power washed and had howling and seizures very shortly after. I am talking about the planetary drive, of course, not me. BTW, you can use a shuttle with a seized planetary. Think about it you will figure it out. Use the clutch. My planetary was seized so I went out and did some brush hogging with a spare deck in very sandy soil. I had removed the cap off the planetary. The planetary got full of sand. The planetary started working again. The sand crushed the rust that was seizing up the tiny, caged roller bearings. I still have a new planetary drive but the old, sandy one is still going strong.
I like that, but isn't there some duct tape in there somewhere?sm01