Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Swap Kohler 12hp engine into 7016H?

OrangeMetalGuy
Ok so I just got a 712 Shuttle. Nice tractor but I have an already-restored 7016 Hydro without an engine, gas tank, battery and ignition switch. Will the Kohler bolt right in? Driveshaft issues? How much of the wiring needs to change?

captainweezy
It will bolt right in if memory serves me right because they are the same frame however the wiring will probably be somewhat different. I would for sure swap them though. I would rather have the hydro myself. By the way I have 2 kohlers that run great and I have never had issues with them.:D Good luck

OrangeMetalGuy
I'd like to leave the wiring on the donor tractor intact in case I ever want to put another engine back into it. So, if I get a new ignition switch for the Kohler and install it, can the existing Simplicity 7016H wiring be used for the most part or do I need to create my own wiring harness? I guess I should be able to find one of the 3-pin plugs that plugs into the regulator someplace. Two more questions, will the oil drain plug hole on the 7016 line up with the Kohler drain plug or will I have to drill one out.. and when installing engines on these, are the mounting holes slotted and if so how to you ensure proper alignment?

Brettw
I believe the drain plug is the same, and can be either left or right depending on how the pan is installed. At least it is like this on the Kohlers, and I believe on the Briggs too.