Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

What Transmission fluid to use?

AC_B-1Novice
My LL manual calls for Dextron II or type F transmission fluid. WalleyWorld has quit carrying Dextron II or type F and the clerk tried to sell me Dextron III. What should I use in my LL if I can't find Dextron II or type F? larry

sammiefish
As Bob mentioned.... Dexron VI is backwards compatible... as long as your number is II or higher... If you read the bottle closely it states this... although I can hardly see the small print any more...sm00

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
As Bob mentioned.... Dexron VI is backwards compatible... as long as your number is II or higher... If you read the bottle closely it states this... although I can hardly see the small print any more...sm00
What about my 7013H with a Vickers hydro. The manual only says Dexron, no number designation. The original Vickers manual stated 10W motor oil. My question is, will the friction modifiers in the "modern Dexron formulations be harmful to the Vickers hydro? What is the significance of the statement, "as long as your number is II or higher"? John U

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
What about my 7013H with a Vickers hydro. The manual only says Dexron, no number designation. The original Vickers manual stated 10W motor oil. My question is, will the friction modifiers in the "modern Dexron formulations be harmful to the Vickers hydro? What is the significance of the statement, "as long as your number is II or higher"? John U
Hope not I have Dexron III in my Vickers for around 5 years with no problem.