Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tacklebox

Hello from a newb...and HELP!!! with 717

tacklebox
Hello all, Couldn't find a place to properly introduce myself, so I'll do it here before I ask for a hand. My name's Joe...and I am an addict! I don't have my SD card here to post pics, but they will be up soon. I am the proud owner of a 2012 Landlord, 3112H Sovereign, and a 717 Broadmoor. The one I have the problem with is the 717. Was running fine, cut my grass on Saturday, and parked it to go grab a cold one. Came back down to put it away, and nothing. Tried the button again, saw an orange glow OO come from around the steering shaft, and I let the button go. Now when I try to start it, the S/G barely gets out of it's own way, I have smoke coming from under the cooling shroud.:(! and my throttle/choke cables get HOT!!! Am I correct in thinking my S/G is shot, and the current is passing through the engine? Also, the ignition keyswitch doesn't work, it is on all the time. Could that have been the orange glow that welded the contacts together??Any advice is welcomed and all is appreciated. Joe

larry8200
My best guess: Your primary supply wire from the solenoid has bad insulation and is shorting on the throttle/choke cables. Take with BIG grain of salt!!! And welcome to the club, in my second week myself.

comet66
Welcome aboard Joe!! Yep, I'd start out looking for a bare wire shorting out. Does that thing have an amp meter? I've seen them short out and glow red when the starter load was put on it.

tacklebox
quote:
Originally posted by comet66
Welcome aboard Joe!! Yep, I'd start out looking for a bare wire shorting out. Does that thing have an amp meter? I've seen them short out and glow red when the starter load was put on it.
I forgot to mention:Ithat it was just recently rewired, so I don't think I have a bare wire, but I'll look into it. All new wiring, but with the original components; ammeter, keyswitch, start button, S/G, and regulator are all original. How do I test the ammeter? I have continuity across terminals. Also, should I have 12V present at the S/G at all times, cuz I do, and when I push the start button, the voltage drops to like 3V? Thanks again. Joe

tacklebox
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
My best guess: Your primary supply wire from the solenoid has bad insulation and is shorting on the throttle/choke cables. Take with BIG grain of salt!!! And welcome to the club, in my second week myself.
There is no solenoid. Just the big ol' start button, going to the S/G, with a tap for the ammeter.

toomanytractors
.Make sure you don't have a throttle or choke cable tangled up with the positive battery post. I just had this happen on an old Crapsman I was working on

dentwizz
Good news is that probably has a "smoking gun" literally. If you had that much current running there will be burnt insulation somewhere. Make sure you get the battery out and on charge before too long or that could hurt it in the long run.