Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

relocating coil - BS 16 Hp

mike_sdak

OK, I am re-assembling my 326400 series 16 Hp briggs, after cleaning the head and combustion chamber, cleaning and painting, etc. I don't really want to install the (battery ignition) coil on the head as it was previously--I am already adding the upper mount style bracket for the S-G to the head, that's enough meddling for me. I noticed a number of tapped holes in the block, surrounding the PTO shaft. I don't use them currently, and I thought maybe I'd relocate the coil to a spot like that (I would need a longer coil wire, though). Sound OK? Also, what sort of coil wire can I use-any one that's about 15" long or so? Or does it need to be "solid core" copper or something like that? Thanks in advance,

I think I'll give it a whirl - pick up a longer Kohler OEM plug wire and post back sometime later with the results...

Sounds like the location would be OK as long as the coil doesn't get to hot from hot engine cooling air or muffler heat. High heat isn't good for a coil. I believe I've seen the coils mounted on the S/G bracket that you mention.

Bill, Thanks for the reply. With respect to heat- I am not sure what location would be the hotter- the top of the head, or in front on the PTO side of the block. I have a pepper-pot muffler which should be outside of the engine bay, I would think this would reduce the temp near the PTO. Am I thinking correctly? Anyone have a similar setup to comment on the heat in the two locations?

Here's my set up on my 3410S - 10HP Briggs which is the same (but different) as yours. Mine's on the PTO side of the block at 11 o'clock position, but does not use the holes in the block (they're filled with crust). It's cozy with the giant OEM muffler, but seems to be fine. Parts; Used Chrysler ballast resistor,coil and coil pinch-bolt type bracket Home made hi-temp plug wire (leftover from hot-rod crap) Automotive universal exhaust supt brkt (from misc shop trinket bin) Set up; Coil is mounted in factory pinch bracket and secured with two bolts - one is an existing but longer S/G bracket bolt and the other to the added support bracket (the twisted brkt in 2nd pic). The ballast resistor (optional - depends on coil) is mounted to underside of S/G bracket - IIRC, I drilled a whole in S/G brkt for that. View from carb side: Coil appears to be touching the muff, but that's due to the picture angle. There is a min of 1/2" between coil, wire and muff.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4707271007_f49da68866_b.jpg[/img]
View from dipstick side: EDIT: I think I'm wrong about the upper coil mounting bolt - I think the hole was there in the S/G brkt but unused by the factory. Pretty sure I just added the bolt for that.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4707271009_f603091fbe_b.jpg[/img]

Just a thought. The closer to vertical the coil is mounted, the better and longer lasting, without so much attention to heat transfer to the coil. The coil wire should come out of the closest to a 12 o'clock position as you can obtain with your mount. The coil will last longer in the vertical position, as the oil inside cannot leak out

I agree that vertical mounting is best, but somehow, Chrysler coils mounted horizontal on V8 intake manifold seem to last forever. I just don't get it, how they survive heat and vibration without leaking/failing just amazes me. I think mounting to the S/G bracket would be near ideal but it might stick out a bit.