Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Rear hitch cable/bracket dragging on transmission

donmoore1904
One of the attachments that came on my new 7010 is a rear hitch. I have wanted one of these for a long time to hang a weight on to counterbalance the plow during the winter. Evidently that is what the PO did with this machine. However, there is significant wear on the top of the transmission where the cable and cable bracket have been dragging against the case. This happens when the lift lever is full back (plow and hitch up). I don't see anything wrong with the installation, but obviously there is. Anyone else have this problem? I think the hitch is OEM. Thanks!

osenga
I know where you are at on that my brothr=in=laws did did that too so we just took fuel line and slit it open and put over the cable and used a wire tie at each end of the fuel line and it has not wore no more since then and it has been probably 2 years now

donmoore1904
Alright, I just got back to this tractor after being distracted. By the way, it turns out to be a 3410. I appreciate this writeup, but I am not sure I described the problem well enough, and that this is a solution. The problem is the rear end of lift cable U bracket sides are dragging into the top back of the transmission for about 1-1/2", during the last few clicks on the lift lever. I am assuming the full lift will be necessary, because I plan to use the same plow the PO had. My cable doesn't go near the driveshaft fiberglass wafer, which I believe is what the link addresses (unless I missed something). I showed the Simplicity mechanic, and he said "your cable stretched". Maybe I am missing something else, because on thinking about it that doesn't make sense. If the cable were too *short*, the end would get pulled up prematurely and pull in farther than intended. If the cable stretched, the hitch wouldn't rise so much. It is an OEM hitch, and the hitch rotation upwards is fine other than this mechanical interference between the cable bracket and the tranny. It is almost as if the eye on the hitch needs to be 1/8"-1/4" higher. Was there more than one hitch made? The U bracket is substantial and fairly long, but I think it needs to be to allow the full range of motion relative to the hitch. Even with a shorter bracket, I think it would still interfere with the tranny case. Thoughts?

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Is the tab for the rear lift bent somhow? Can you move the rear lift sleeve over so it will not rub?
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by "tab" and "sleeve". Are you calling the top part of the hitch that holds the eye the cable end attaches to the "tab"? That is straight, but I can see how if it were bent to one side it would cause this.