Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

EZDUZIT

O K MY FLYWHEL IS LOOSE ! WHAT NOW, PLEASE HELP

EZDUZIT
If you read my post below about my NO START problem you may be able to help me.I have just installed new points and condensor,still just small spark.I put some gas down the spark plug hole,no fire ,not even a burp !So I just removed my generator belt,got my hand behind the motor (I have a 1967 landlord)and joggeled the flywheel,without disconnecting the drive shaft I do have some slop I can feel I beleive the key on the shaft is worn,if its there at all.If in fact this is true,what do I do now !!! I think this may be too big a problem for me to fix,unless its a very simple fix ???? Pleaase respond,and if you know someone in connecticut that can help me please let me know. Thanks guys.

toomanytractors
I would first remove the driveshaft to eliminate the possibility of feeling slop in the bevel gear box. Get one hand on the flywheel as you've already done and put the other on the end of the crankshaft while rocking or jiggling the flywheel back and forth. Take the spark plug out first. Start out by moving the flywheel back and forth about a half inch and keep decreasing the movement until you're sure the crank and flywheel are moving the same. If the key has to be replaced the engine will have to come off the tractor. Remove the fan housing, pull the flywheel and replace the key making sure the keyway on the crank and on the flywheel are good. I have seen, and especially with aluminum keys where a nick that you can barely feel with your thumbnail will throw the timing off enough to cause the problem you describe. Good luck and let us know what you find.

EZDUZIT
DAVE. I found it ! ( I think!) THE MAGNETO WAS WRAPPED WITH A BIG ,VERY BIG mouse nest !!!.Is it possible that this magneto is still good?Flywheel is tight,thank God.When I look at this mag. the right side looks closer to the flywheel.Can they move?Not knowing what its supposed to look like,it looks good,but I dont know.

toomanytractors
Pete: I am telling you that the timing will reset itself IF the key is sheared or partially sheared. A new key should correct the problem if the old one has even a little bit of a nick right where it comes onto the flywheel. Remove the two little bolts that hold the mag and clean the posts on the mag and the flywheel and magnets with sandpaper. Turn the flywheel so that the magnets are about a quarter of a turn away from the legs on the mag. Now put the mag back on and raise it as far away from the flywheel as possible. Tighten the screws enough to hold it in that position. Turn the flywheel so that the magnets are centered under the legs on the mag and insert a plain old business card under the legs. Loosen the two screws and the magnets will draw the mag down onto the flywheel. Now tighten the two screws to hold the mag in place permanantly and rotate the flywheel and remove the card. This should give just about the proper air gap. Make sure the meeces didn't chew thru the plug wire. I realize this is kinda long and drawn out but I've been successful with this method many times. Good Luck!:p

toomanytractors
Pete: Back again--I didn't read close enough about the mouse nest. That should have no bearing on the performance of the mag. If the key is good and the air gap is right you should have spark. Also, make sure to blow all the crap from around the cooling fins on the cylinder. You may have to remove some more of the tinwork to accomplish this.

EZDUZIT
Hey. I really didnt want to buy a magneto But the repair shop told me that with the nest I described that the magneto overheats and is no longer effective.Anyway they didnt have one,but if they had it would be @$55.00 with tax.I wanted to get this done and couldnt find one in stock around here.My local N A P A couldnt help so I went to another parts store,they had it in an aftermarkt ,Prime-Line,$24.54 tax included !That is a huge difference,I thought about O E M parts but went with it anyway Im going to put it in today ,Ill let you know how it works out.