Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Mower Deck Question . .

Hogg

I recently picked a 42" AC mower deck up from beside the road (Midnight Rubbish Removal) because I thought the pan might be better than the 42" deck I have. Turns out the whole deck is in better shape. I mean incredible shape. Someone had scarfed the rollers off, but all the bearings, linkages, bushings, everything is in perfect shape. Now the question. There are some apparent differences between my old deck and this AC unit. (1.) The distance between the adjusters is narrower on the AC. It would put the adjusters under the foot rests on my 7119, but I think it would still clear. Unfortunately I already completely dismantled the AC unit before I could check this. (2). The center spindle has 2 belt grooves, why? (3). The center spindle pulley is smaller than the pulley on my Simplicity deck. This would translate into a higher blade speed than I am currently running. (by the way the deck I am now running came off of a 10 HP Landlord. Did pulley size have anything to do with Horsepower. I would really like to refurbish the Allis deck without transferring parts from one deck to the other, but wonder if anyone has any advice. Thanks, Tim

I can answer #2, at least. The deck is off a late 1960's tractor -- my '69 B-210 has one like it. They use a special (and expensive) double-v belt... see below. The center PTO pulley also has an extra groove -- 3 instead of two. They weren't used for very long, I don't think, and there was a "conversion kit" that was offered later to convert them to a single belt. You'll need to either change the pulley on the deck or on your PTO to match. http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/belts/cs_3v.gif

Whatever you do don't throw the double pulley away. It's likely worth $20 - $40+ to someone who is looking for one. It is I believe a one or two year production item and somewhat hard to find, and you cant just go down to the dealer and order a new one up. The belt guide on the deck for the double belt may also be a sellable peice. SmilinSam

Agree with both previous posts. My Simplicity 3310V had a 42 inch deck and double pulley like that -- I think the 3310V is about 1971 vintage. I wanted to put the old 42 inch deck on my 7018 (as well as the 48 inch that it came with) and talked to my local dealer about it. They couldn't find a conversion kit, so I converted it myself. They strongly advised against trying to do it. I put a new idler pully on the PTO and cut the center out of the old welded idler (with worn bearing), cut three slots to bolt the modified idler pully onto the three-bolt adaptor with shorter bolts. I also changed the stack-up of washers and adapter on the center spindle to place the single pulley about where the original pulley was on the 48 inch deck, hoping to keep proper belt angle. My pulley diameter is probably not optimum for proper blade tip speed (I've heard that law limits it for safety sake). Also since my idler pulley was not designed for drive pulley geometry, it is not as deep or flared as much for belt height variation when the deck floats or is moved up and down. This setup threw the belt right away when I ran thru a ditch and the mower deck dropped several inches. Now I never run thru ditches more than a couple inches deep. I have a late model drive pulley that I will cut and modify as described above, but may not get around to that till late in the summer. So far, I have used this setup about twenty hours and only threw the belt that one time when I tried to mow down into the the deep ditch. That was in the first hour of use. I bought the newer pulley, but didn't take the time to modify it because the present set-up was working and I had other more pressing things to do. Hope this helps. bobjack