Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Fuel shutoff valve install

OrangeMetalGuy
I want to put one of these on the 712. Is the best place as close to the carb as possible, or do you put the between the tank and filter (so you can change the filter without draining the tank)?

larry8200
I would put it before the filter, so you dont have to drain the tank to change the filter. In fact, I just put a new filter and line on my 3416H this afternoon. Wish I'd thought of thatC

GregB
If you put it above the filter, you can reach it from the seat. That way when you forget to turn on the valve, and it sputters to a stop, you don't have to get off the tractor. :D:D

steve-wis
I have shut off valves on all mine, and if they are in the line I put them between the tank and filter, and as close to the seat as I can, for the above stated reasons. I use the plastic ones that are a quarter-turn from off to on. My 616 yeomans have a shut off at the tank, but it takes about three or four turns to open or close, and if the lift lever has the deck raised it is right in front of the valve, so I am going to put in-line ones on them as well. Steve

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by GregB
If you put it above the filter, you can reach it from the seat. That way when you forget to turn on the valve, and it sputters to a stop, you don't have to get off the tractor. :D:D
I like that, and attaching it for one handed operation. I think I could mount one in the side, under the front of the tank....

Boney
I have a plastic one after the glass bowl filter and before the inline filter, like Greg said I like using it while in the seat, had it about 5yrs no problems,,,,,,oh no it will probly brake tomorrow now that i have said that,

Rickshaw
When I was mowing alot and having to haul my machines I had trouble starting. Evidently the bouncing would flood the carb. after putting on in line shut offs I never had the problem again