Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 Landlord Steering Slop

bowhunt4life

I am a newbie and a recent owner of a 64 landlord. There is some slop in the steering. Is there a simple fix? I have downloaded the manuals and am disecting the diagrams but the answer still hasn't come to me. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks Chris

Check for slop at the drag links first,if it's loose you can take the cotter pins out and turn the slotted screws in the end,you could apply a little grease there while your at it. Next take off the battery side cover and check the gears at the bottom of the steering shaft. Most often the bushings are worn and should be replaced, but the long gear that the shaft fastens to is on an eccentric,and you might get by just adjusting it. You'll need to remove the lower bolts from the shaft. There is a small set screw on the bottom of the casting loosen it and the shaft the gear sets on has a screwdriver slot when you turn it the gears will come together,this should take out the slop or most of it depending on the bushing wear. Be careful you don't make it to tight it could cause binding and necessary wear. It's not as bad as it sounds. This is where the fun of owning these thing comes in. I hope this helps. Willy

Agree with the above, but if it does not solve your problem, and you have to go deeper, there is a needle bearing in the steering gear that likes to disintegrate. Once it is installed and the steering gear put back in place, there is no good way to lubricate it. It is no problem to replace, though, if you have the gears out. Replacing that needle bearing took a lot of slop out of mine several years ago. As for suggestions or tips? Have a good time playing with it

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at my manual I downloaded and see a section called "steering gear clearance adjustment". Talks about an excentric gear and greasing. Gives a step by step on how to do this. Is this what you guys are talking about? If I need to replace bushings, are they easy to get, cheap, simple to install? I am not a gearhead and will be taking this project on very slowly. Thanks, Chris

The bushings are only OEM available as a unit for $60 bucks(if it is the one-piece mounted together unit, $45 if it is the pair of bearing blocks with 3 bolts. Or at least that was as of the fall.

Can you still get the bushings at a simplicity dealer? I have a local simplicity dealer I can probably order part from.

The bushing should be available at any bearing service shop they are cheap I don't think yours has the needle bearings but if it dose the needle bearings are cheap also. The last ones I bought were around $7.00.

I did everything Willy described and still had some slop. It was the bushing on the pivot of the front axle that was worn out. The axle was slopping around. Fixed that and I am all set. A small amount of play in the steering is factory spec. It's there to prevent broken fingers.

Thank you. After looking at the gears at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft I greased the zerk and there is about 1/2 in of play between the gear teeth biting. Maybe this is acceptable? Will tackle this as I think I have to rebuild my carb now? See my new post. Thanks again all!