Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 Charging Problem HELP!

larry8200

I replaced the Delco starter/generator on my 3416, and for the first couple of hours it read 12.5 volts at idle and just over 14 volts from half to full throttle. Good. Now though it is reading 14 volts at idle and goes up to nearly 16 volts as soon as engine speed is increased. Is this a stuck / stiicky regulator? Any one know? Hasn't charged for 5 years, the "old" generator has a broken wire in the field circuit. (the one going from the terminal to thr field coil) Thanks for any help, ideas, suggestions. I'll pull the wire from the field terminal if I have to, but was sure looking forward to putting the battery charger away. :) Larry

i have a generator in my 1963 rambler along with my b 10 and landlords generators dont charge well at idle, but very rarely do i see it lower than 12.5 in the car i loose voltage some times its good to plug it in just to keep the batt up its not good to run on a dead battery you can over heat the generator

This is charging 14 volts at idle, and as soon as engine speed is increased it pegs the meter at 16 volts.

Not sure why it would do that, I would suspect that something in the system is causing an excessive draw since the gauge is pegged or the regulator is freaking out. Gut feeling is it's the regulator and I would probably try to clean and adjust it.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Take it to a rebuilding shop and have them tested together. That takes a lot of guess work out of the equation.
That's what I did the last time, spent more money than the tractor was worth (at that time) and got a working system that failed catastrophically less than 2 months later. That fault was as much or more Delco's design than the rebuild shop, but they should have (had to) have known. It's to involved for now, but I'm going to do a detailed post with my experiences with the Delco Starter/Generator. Any one who has or deals with one should read it. Maybe call it Delco s/g Blues, please read. For now, I found the problem, and ran 2 hours perfect. Several weeks ago, here on SimpleTractors, I read an article describing how to test these units. It said if you grounded the field terminal it would "Max" the jenny's output. That's exactly what was happening. I dont completly understand the regulator, and it had not been hooked to a working jenny for 6 years so... I pointed at that. Here is what happened: Friday morning I put a fully functional starter/generator on. I ran it for several hours and it was fine. The old belt started rolling on the crank pulley and would not straighten out. Saturday morning: I replaced the belt. After adjusting the belt, for whatever reason, the generator ended up in a position, and the field terminal stud was long enough so that it grounded on the bottom of the hood. Friday I had also installed a volt meter to better monitor things. Pretty sure I ran it less than 5 minutes in this condition. I filed off the excess length of the stud and...

Golden for the moment. I have some good information on these, hope you read my post on this. Larry