Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A.C. B-210 belt questions

As jeff says the double V belt is special it s available annd so is the kit which contain a new pulley for each end and the correct belt. My choice would be to keep it original and order the double V belt that belongs on it,I have an uncle that does a lot of mowing and he has only bought 2 belts since new (1970). As for your clutch belt it is to loose if it shines the axle, you need 2 9/16 wrenches to loosen the turn buckle between the front & rear pulleyshorten the turnbuckle to close the pulleys not toomuch or your clutch won't disengage good luck let me know if you would like toorder the belt or any other parts for your tractor. Yankee

Bud, I have a 3112 that had the W belts, I was commercial mowing a very hilly 26 acre cemetary with it. It nearly broke me for a while buying those belts. I was using 1 or 2 a week. I changed mine over to a single belt when it was only a month old, before any kit was available. My problem was I was mowing over humps [graves] and through water ways [valleys] all of the time. If you are mowing flat ground they will last a long time, but if you are mowing any uneven ground they will go fast. I used to sell quite a few of these belts, but I think we have got almost everyone within 50 miles of here changed to the new kit. I think I only sold 1 last year. When I bought my tractor new in Dec, I thought this belt would be the cats Meow and I bought the parts for the 42" mower and changed my old 10 hp Landlord over also, ordering some new PTO parts and having the shaft machined down. That turned out to be a lot of money down the drain. After 1 week of mowing the old parts were back in. If you have a variable speed drive, in one mode low or high it is common for it to touch the axle. There is a specific proceedure to adjust it, If you have a Simplicity Large Frame Tractor Manual it covers this. I don't have it here at the house. Keep in mind that the front guard around the front pulley and the angle belt stop on the idler need to be properly adjusted to keep the belt from coasting when the clutch is released. If this is confusing Hollar and I'll try to address it. Good luck, and Happy New Year. Al

Bud, I have used identical belts side by side and with better success than the double V. I have found that they last about the same amount of time (2 seasons) and I can buy the single belts for about $3.50 ea. I use the Dayco 15450 belts (the last set went about 4 seasons). You could try any 3Lx45" belt. Do not use the cogged belts common on automobile fan blades, this belt will last about 5 minutes. My HB212 is now 30yrs old, in that time I have tried the double V belt 4 times, and the best I got was 2 seasons. Good Luck. Mike. P.S. I checked my notes and I have also used a 13450 belt (a little narrower).

The adjustment procedure is in the Simple trACtors Service section, linked below. . . FYI, I have a B-210 and bought one of the expensive double-V belts, after eating several single belts in the double pulleys... The sides of the Vs were not high enough(on one side of each channel)to keep the single belt from riding up and out of them. I tried using each of the V channels... the belt kept climbing out and getting shredded by the sharp edges of the grooves ... I bought the expensive OEM belt and I haven't had any problems since. You can try a single one, since it is certainly cheaper, but you may not have a lot of luck with it, especially if your lawn is as rough as mine, making the deck go up and down a lot . . ,[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm[/a]

I have a B-210 serial # 015320. When I got the tractor the mower deck (42") was unattached with no belts. I now need to finish the hookup. I noticed a multiple belt pulley directly under the centerline of the tractor, driven by a jackshaft which is in turn driven from the bevel gear box. Is this the drive pulley that goes directly to the mower deck? Also both the deck pulley and this drive pulley appear to use two belts side by side. Is this correct? Does anybody know the correct length? The belt that drives the jackshaft from the bevel gear box appears to be a separate unit and I need to know the size of that also. One last question concerns the transmission belt. It appears to be adjusted properly and works fine. But it sure flops around alot in use. It rubs the top of the axle somewhat and makes a lot of noise when running. Do I need to do some adjusting? Any help will be as always very much appreciated! Thanks! Bud

Double "V" mower drive belt is as you suspected a special mold joining two belts together - part no. 168171 around $50 is 48.9". Conversion available to single belt system for around $125. PTO belt is 157683 is 29.1".