Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

odd/smaller size batteries

fmtm

I despise those little "lawn & Garden" batteries which everyone wants to sell as tractor batteries. About 2 yrs is all they're good for. Just had one take a poop in my Allis 314. Did some measuring and going to stuff the biggest automotive battery (that will fit) that NAPA has into it. Anyone else done this in an effort to get away from the toy batteries?

I use the largest battery that fits the location. It ended up being a 390 cca Interstate, but dimensionally it is comparable to a japanese automotive battery. In fact the literature calling for a 40 ampere-hour battery calls for a larger battery than what high-end Mercedes cars use for starting (35 ampere hour). I know its not apples to apples, but I wanted to throw out some more data for you. Bigger is definitely better:D

The 22NF battery has the hold down cleats on the ends which some of the tractors need to keep them secure. They are about the same size as the 51R's, but usually aren't stocked and are usually more expensive than the 51R's.

I run 22nf's in my fleet. Get them from the local "Battery Warehouse" From them they are more than the Wally World 51 series, but not as pricy as if you buy it from TSC or have someone order it for you. Around here the Batteries Plus chain stocks them also.

I just bought me a battery for my B-10 and had the parts store match it up and they sold me a 51R but after getting it home it didn't realy fit because of the hold down wings on the sides. Was realy wanting to see if I could get it to start so I remove the side cover and made it fit. Think I will take a saw of some type try cutting them off.