Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gen light trouble

GeneW

Howdy, my 3314v Sovereign runs great. (1971). The generator light just started staying on while running at any speed. The battery seems to be holding a charge. The belt is tight. Not sure what is going on. Help anyone? Thanks Genew Thanks for the replies. Update: Shut it off today after mowing to get the meter out. Wouldn't start again. Had 12.5VDC on a resting battery. Just got the clicking sound and smoke from one of the S/G terminals. Not the F one, the other one. All the terminals on the S/G ring to ground, took it off the tractor tonight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gene W

Hi, I'm assuming you have a Briggs & Stratton engine with a Delco Starter / Generator. If you have a good battery in that, and the engine starts right up, you could take awhile to drain the battery to the point where it will no longer crank the engine. Put a good volt meter on and check your voltage. You should have 12-12.5 volts with key off, it should be about the same with engine idling and increase to 13-14 volts at 1/2 throttle and above. You may or may not know that Delco stopped building these systems 30 years ago and good parts can be hard to find - and expensive. Look for a post here later today I'm doing on this subject if your interested. I would spend $20 on a voltmeter to replace the idiot light. I just put a starter on mine and a voltmeter at the same time, the meter may have saved the unit from a overcharge situation which the light wont show. Good Luck, Larry

The clicking sound is the selonoid, if ti just clicks once that's how it works, if it's clicking repeatedly, it's not getting enough juice. The smoking terminal sounds like a bad connection. not sure what you mean "ring to ground" ohm mmeter continuity?

Ringing is a old electrician's term for ohming out circuits. Ringing out a pair is to find the two wires that have continuity to each other. Ringing to ground is like you thought, just means continuity to ground.