Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 23D Carb Rebuild Time?

bowhunt4life

Okay, One fun job after another. All in the name of learning and loving my 64 landlord. I started her up yesterday and noticed some fuel dripping from both bolts on the bottom of my carb. I have a 23D briggs. Is this an indication of a stuck float and is it time for a rebuild? If so any good sites to order the kit from? I have never rebuilt a carb but no better time than the present to learn. Thanks, Chris

Well there not to bad to do. Thats how I learned to do them to. parts get at your local dealer or ebay . once you do it you will say that it was simple

do just what needs to be done alot of kits give you plugs and tell you to pry out the old welch plug and reseal. what a pain dont do it unless you have to (Just my thought) ive rebuilt many and found out its usually just the needle and seat or the float good luck

Carbs are a simple rebuild. My local dealer actually had a kit in stock. There are directions Briggs included in the kit. Make sure there is no sediment at the bottom of the fuel bowl. Make sure the gasket sealing surfaces are clean and free of any old debris left by the old gasket. Snap yourself some pictures or make a drawing of the linkage attachment points to help aid in reassembly. Follow the directions for checking the float settings. In my experiences, I have never had to bend tabs or reset float heights on these. Do NOT over tighten the adjusting needles when setting the adjustments!!! You WILL put a burr on the needle and that will seriously have an effect on the mixture adjustments. Lay all the parts out on a shop towel, both the new and old parts side by side. You may have "extra" parts as the kits are for more than one model of carburetor.

Thank you all. I will be taking the motor info the local small engine shop tomorrow and picking up a kit. I will post my results when done. Might be a while, archery league on monday, kids softball on tuesday, honey do list wed, kids softball friday, three day travel for job. All in good time. Thanks, Chris

Chris, Seems like you're not the only busy one in this club. That's the best thing about this hobby,,,, It's all at YOUR own pace. Good luck with your project(s).

You probably couldn't get a much simpler carb to do than your Medium FloJet. Make sure to remove the main jet and nozzle first or you may damage the nozzle. Check all the small holes with tag wire. Do not be suprized if you get slight leaks after words. There was a reason Briggs put a fuel shut off any FloJet equiped engine. Gary

HELP!!!! I have looked everywhere for my engine model no. and cannot find it anywhere. On the tag it says 23D then a type number and then a serial number. I can't find the model number. Where do I look? HELP!!!

I can get you the numbers from a motor i have that is form a 67 Landlord when i get home tonight. I believe they had the same carb.

I checked with two small engine shops and they claim the 23D isn't the model number. I posted a new thread and got the numbers for the carb kit. The dealers claimed that there was an 8 digit number for the model number. I think they are wrong.

this is the model number you need an older mechanic. carb kit for three bolt carb. http://cgi.ebay.com/Carb-Kit-fits-Briggs-394693-7-9HP-/250653192844?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5c18328c#ht_2763wt_1009 repair manual link the ebay ad doesn't work but you can see what it looks like. http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=100777 here is 2 manuals on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350273728116&Category=42229&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_1726wt_914 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330442420065&Category=42229&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_908wt_1139