Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rewind/recoil starter

lumpy

I posted this on the wanted section also but thought it was worthy of discussing and getting input. 707 broadmoor 7 hp briggs 170701-1510-01 i am looking for a pull starter for this motor , it had a starter on it at one time , and I have been pull starting with a rope. Fires up 1-2 pulls but every time I need to restart I have to either pull the hood or squeeze my hand in there. I really see no reason for a starter at this point and Would like to locate a pull starter. help or direction is appreciated. Lumpy

There are millions of used ones out there. IMO the old 60s/70s recoil is better because of the heavier housing and metal pulley. I have never had one of those break. The newer style from the 80s/90s with the stamped housing and plastic pulley I've had problems with the springs breaking or the mounting legs getting bent.

well what would I look for , mine just has the old belt pulley on top of the engine where the belt to generator/starter went, with a rope pull housing on top of the pulley. right now I am just winding a rope on and pulling. I assume I need to get an adapter of some sort for the recoil starter to engage? I not really sure what all I would need to look for?

This is not on mowers but will give you insight on recoil starters. If it helps good. If not it was worth a try. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/09/index.htm Scroll down and click on any of the small pictures on the right side of the site to enlarge them. larry

Ok guys I have it figured out, i took an old 5 hp horizontal briggs with a recoil starter and removed the shroud, off came the recoil , what I was missing and was evident as soon as I looked was what i would call the recoil clutch. On the old gen/starter motors I simply was replaced with the pulley and on top of the pulley was the hand wind rope pull housing. I swapped the pulley for the clutch and all is good. I now can proceed to find a recoil that fits , the one off the 5 hp was too small to fit the 7hp shroud and the shrouds are not interchangeable. surprising how when you see it live it makes sense. by way the clutch I put on had a rope pull housing so I can still pull start it until I find recoil.