Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I finally replaced the deck rollers.

Burntime

You can see the rollers were in sad shape. The bar had been broke and welded at least 3 times. The bar itself was warn almost a quarter thru!

You can see I actually backed up once and hit the roller with the blades.The rollers were down to under 2 1/4" and close to 2" The center bores were 7/8 to 1" instead of 5/8".

I finally got the bar out and ready to disassemble.

I cut off the passenger side bar and pulled the bracket. I put it in a vise and ground it smooth. Next I grabbed a pin and used it as punch to get the rod loose.

Got it out then hit it with a round file to get the burrs off.

Put it back together after drilling some holes for a test fit.

Now with the rollers cut to size and installed. I put nylon washers between the middle 3 and used double washers on the outsides. I drilled 5/32 holes so the cotter keys are substantial.The yates rollers seem heavy and substantial. I am hoping it will go for another 18 years.:D

Not a bad weld for a rookie:DIt will definitely hold!

I cleaned it up and only one blade turns, nutz! Sooooo, heres the problem...

Another project. Now to get a spring and wirewheel the insides to paint... Guess I get more tractor time and the 42 inch deck will cut the lawn again. This is why you always need more then one attachment!:D:D:D
  • Like 1

Or one attachment gone through every off season. I need a bigger shed... Nice job on the rollers - typpical belt bay. :D:D:D
  • Like 1

Funny thing is the spindles are nice and quiet. I keep them greased well. I welded one crack in the deck but other then the rollers it is great. It actually looks worse in the pics because I cleaned it up after the pics. I am going to hit the area under the covers with a wire wheel, extends spray it, and spray bomb it. Not going to win any beauty contests but more for longevity then looks.;) I will pick up the spring today. The dealer was closed and the local hardware store had tons of springs but nothing close.

Nice job, this info will come in handy when I do mine. I replaced my spring once and found the exact size at Home Depot. Did you make the weld on both sides of the bar or just one side? I noticed that mine has a weld on both sides of the upright bar. What do you mean by extends spray and spray bomb it, any special materials or paints?

Yes, I welded both sides. Extends is a rust inhibitor product. It goes by a couple names. Rustoleum makes one. You clean the metal and spray it and it turns any remaining rust black and stops it in its tracks. Spray bomb was a joke, rattle can, spray can over the top to protect. I will try home depot. Thanks for the tip!

Too bad you dont live in northern Ohio, I would drop mine off at your house and come back in a week after you all done with it.

Its like anything else. Now that I have done one it would be a lot faster. I will find out how the rollers do in the next day or two. The way I did the rollers they are wider in the middle section by about an inch and a half. We will see if it makes any difference.

Well I tested them, they are still in one piece:D The stipes look great. Even better as the lawn gets thicker, which is hard to do with a lot of shade! Wow, it is cutting way, way, higher. Maybe could use another half an inch but not worth the extra work. Wonderful cut and I saved a bunch! The extra blade speed is nice on the 42 but the 48 all sharpe is no slouch!:D

Nice job Mike. Plenty of chances to test with the weather we've been having. I can hear the grass grow with all the rain and heat. You sustain any storm damage? We were without power for almost 24 hours - just came back on within the hour. Lots of wind, lightening and rain. Some trees down in the hood. I just finished mowing before it hit.

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
quote:

The yates rollers seem heavy and substantial.
quote:

What are Yates rollers and where did you purchase them? Heres the website. I think the 12inch 2 1/2 with 5/8" bore were 8 bucks each and 18 bucks to ship four of them... http://www.yatesrubber.com/Boat_Roller_Products.html Tripleguy, Thanks. Yep, the rain is torentual!(sp) No storm damage thankfully. Only a flicker of power loss. I need to call you one of these days to talk about air rifles. I have to thin the heard of chipmunks:D

As to the Yates rollers ... is ther any sort of bushing in these? The older factory rollers had nylon(? or some other plastic) bushings in each end. The last time I ordered rollers, the newer style is a molded plastic part. I have not been satisfied with the lifespan of these molded rollers, so I am seriously considering trying these Yates rubber rollers. I know that these have been discussed before ... anyone have any significant time using these rubber rollers? Tom

Jim, thanks. It should be close, just with more roller width. Tom, there is a molded part inside that seems a little more durable. Not sure just how hard it is. I talked to them and figured I would try. You can see the pic of the end. Will they last 20 years? Ask me in 20 years:D

If I dont use the 3 1/2" after market rollers, with bearings, then I might use the ones you bought. Heck, like you say you are good for another 20 years. If I buy 3 1/2" rollers they may last me 35 years and and I somehow I dont think me or my 7117 will still be running. LOL

THe ones I have do not have a bearing in them, just a harder material. It really looks like the same stuff just smoother. The co said that they should hold up without a problem. Time will tell, heck, go your route, it will be a comparison...

• 1 month later...
Thanks, I have mowed the lawn a bunch of times now and they are still holding up great. The centers are still tight and the lawn looks great!