Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

One Point Hitch

After I recently posted a picture of my dirt plow project, I received several emails from club members asking for details about the one point hitch I fabricated. I decided to post the info here for all to see. The hitch pictured is NOT to Simplicity specifications. I don’t know those specifications. I just made the hitch to what I “felt” would work. Maybe some member who has a factory hitch would be kind enough to post the actual factory specs. Here are a few other comments about the pictures below. The first photo shows 3 components; the one point hitch; an implement; and an implement yoke with square receiver and a “T” handle that connects the implement to the hitch. The yoke with the “T” handle is my idea. It permits me to use only one yoke with a variety of implements that are fitted with only a square tube. The hitch stabilizer bar has a muffler clamp welded to keep it in position as the stabilizer bolts are tightened. I believe Simplicity uses a 90 degree stabilizer with a large hole, but the muffler clamp seems to work fine. The lift rod is ½” hi-test all-thread. I fabricated the lift rod yoke only because a factory made yoke was not available to me at the time. All nuts and bolts are grade 5. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hitch-seq.jpg

Hi Dutch, I really appreciate your replies and effort at informing and helping out on this board. I have benefitted from several of your posts (As well as post by others). I still have somewhat of a problem with my hydro running inconsistantly, but have not done all the things suggested yet. I feel like you, that generally something else is at fault. My unit had and may still have some of those faults. When I get it remedied, I'll post the results (may still be weeks though). bobjack

DUTCH: thank you for emailing me on the hitch.i have asked the? on this hitch that you made before.does any club member have the factory hitch to give us a drawing with the measurements ?herbs hitch looks factory to me as nice as it looks.i have a drawing of the factory hitch for the 300 and 400 series but have no measurements.thanks herb for drawing it out for us who emailed you.you sure make some neat things.i like the hitch for the front of your tractor that you made to move your trailer with.agco918

Dutch or anybody. I have a hitch with my Landlord that looks like the sleeve hitch Dutch shows. I don't know for sure if it is true Simplicity, but I presume it is. If you need measurements off of it, e-mail me what you need and I'll provide them. I don't have any rear implements . . . yet, so I don't know how to use it. What is the function of the two large bolts that screw through the back frame?

Dutch ask me to post the measurements of my presumed factory hitch to coincide with his diagram. I tried to print off Dutch's diagram and then relabel it, but it didn't work, so I'll try to describe the differences. Assume the top of the diagram is North. The outside dimensions of my hitch at the north end are 6.5" like Dutch's. Mine, then, angles out slightly to where at the waist bar shown 3.5" down it is 7" from outside to outside. The measurement from the north end to the center of the waist bar is 4 11/32". The North ends of the mounting bars are curved in about a 1.5" radius. The overall length from North to South is 9.5". The width between centers of the bolt holes on the South end is 2 5/8". The bolts are 2.5"X 5/8". If we call the center north/south bar the spine, the lift hole on the spine is 1.875" South of the waist bar (hole center). Lift hole is 9/16". Mounting holes on North ends are 1/2". The SE and SW corners are bent in a tight radius (estimated 3/8" ID)rather than welded in a butt joint. On the side view, the height of the bar is 2". The height of the mounting tube is 3.375". The outside perimeter of the frame is made from 1/4" X 2" bar. The spine and the waist are 5/16" X 2" bar. The bore in the mounting tube is 5/8". I hope this isn't too complicated. Jeff Snyder

Here's another drawing using the specs provided by Jeff Snyder. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/onepointhitch-factory.gif

thanks herb and jeff : I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR A WHILE TO GET THESE MEASUREMENTS FROM SOMEONE FROM THE CLUB TO MAKE A HITCH FOR MY AGCO918.I DONT PLAN ON USING THE TRACTOR TO DO HEAVY DRAWBAR WORK BUT WANT A HITCH JUST SO I HAVE IT.THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.AGCO918