Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D Briggs Model Number ????

bowhunt4life

Okay, I have to rebuild my carb on my 9hp Briggs. The tag on the motor says; Model 23D Type 0129 01 Serial No. 58968 I looked everywhere on the motor last night and couldn't find a stamped model number. The small enging shop says I need the model number and the numbers above don't tell them anything. Does anyone know which carb kit I need or what the model number of my motor is or where I should look? Thanks, Chris

You have all the info already Model# 23d 23D is the model number Type 0129 01 Serial No. 58968 If those numbers don't tell the dealer anything it is time to find another dealer as the one you have dosn't Know what they are doing. The briggs kit # is 291763 Carburetor overhaul kit.
  • Like 1

Thanks! Yeah I called two small engine shops, one a toro place close to where I work, the other a simplicity dealer. They both told me I needed some eight digit number for a model number and I tried telling them the engine stamp says 23D but they both thought I was nuts. Thanks again! Chris

Again they don't know what there doing or talking about the other Briggs models have a 5 & 6 digit number. There were also models 14, 19, 19d 23A along with the 23D and a few other 2 digit models.

this should fit your carb it should be a three bolt pattern that holds the bowl on. http://cgi.ebay.com/Carb-Kit-fits-Briggs-394693-7-9HP-/250653192844?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5c18328c#ht_2763wt_1009

How is any shop that can't comprehend a Briggs model # going to know how to rebuild your carb??? Find somewhere else to take it!!!

The problem is parts look up is done by computer and the 23D as well as others can't be looked up and don't even appear to exist. Unless the shop has an old timer the chances are no one will think that there is such an engine. According to the Briggs web site Manuals for engines manufactured prior to 1965, or those that do not conform to the current five to six character Model Number standard (i.e. Models WM, ZZ, 5S, 8FB, 19, 23D, etc.), may be requested through our Ask a Question page. Antique literature will be provided as PDFs via email if available. Once you have a part number your dealer should be able to help with no problem. Since Briggs still prints repair manuals for these older engines it is a simple matter for any competent mechanic to do repairs. Stens also has a kit for this carb. Their number is 520049

quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
The problem is parts look up is done by computer and the 23D as well as others can't be looked up and don't even appear to exist. Unless the shop has an old timer the chances are no one will think that there is such an engine. According to the Briggs web site Manuals for engines manufactured prior to 1965, or those that do not conform to the current five to six character Model Number standard (i.e. Models WM, ZZ, 5S, 8FB, 19, 23D, etc.), may be requested through our Ask a Question page. Antique literature will be provided as PDFs via email if available. Once you have a part number your dealer should be able to help with no problem. Since Briggs still prints repair manuals for these older engines it is a simple matter for any competent mechanic to do repairs. Stens also has a kit for this carb. Their number is 520049
Thats very true, the quick reference books don't list letter series engines and neither does the "eParts" section of the Briggs dealer site.

I have often used an alternate conversion number saying it is a 233400(the closest equivalent). It is a beautiful thing to find an old timer shop though. I have one local dealer that has been since ever since and they have a youngun with a computer race the old timer with the book library every time someone wants a look up. It's quite entertaining as the paper usually wins:p

you should have seen the eyes of the dealer when I took the front shroud off my engine and handed it to her... and said M.O.D.E.L. 23D... then she still said she still could not help me... then I said hear in this book I have this part # and showed her. well that's an old # and I still can't help you. they have been in biz for over 30 years. then one of the guys showed her how to look up old part #'s. and out the door I went with an over priced needle & jet... oh yea gaskets too. note: use the correct screw driver to remove the jet. so you don't ruin the threads.

A decent lawnmower parts store in your town, will have the Antique Briggs catalog. Though the parts may not be available, there is also a reference to superceded parts numbers. My favorite store is around 20 miles from home, though there are other parts stores in between. These guys never cause me any problems, always look up the parts, and tell me right away what is or isn't available. Some of the parts they still have in stock, though they are no longer available from Briggs. Don't look to the age of the shop, look more at how many cars are parked in front of it. They will have business if they know what they are doing

Thanks for all the info. The simplicity dealer has been around since the early 70's and they were clueless. Thanks to info hear I am ordering the kit online. Chris

most of my parts i get from primeline from my local carquest, the only time i have run into problems is for my model 19 in my 725