Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
2burning

Bent center arbor shaft?

2burning
Has anyone else ever run into a bent center arbor shaft? 90's Simplicity 18, 48" deck. My deck and PTO belt seem to rattle a lot, especially at low RPM. Low belt life. If I spin the center arbor by hand it almost looks like the shaft is bent? But maybe it could be the double stack pulley is not on straight or something? I don't know but it just doesn't seem right. I may try another deck when I get a chance but was wondering if the shaft is the most common piece to bend if the pulley seems out of balance. Thanks for any comments in advance!

3314WV
Never had problems with a bent shaft but have had the issue of the pulley misaligned. Might try looking underneath at the center blade and how it matches up with the other two when they intersect....

dave45056
The center arbor on my 3415h was bent. Replaced it with one I bought on ebay for 18 bucks shipped, and replaced the bearings, too. It was a bear getting the bearings out, but it's all good now.

Burntime
I have seen a lot of decks. I have yet to see one bent although it could happen. Since the center is the first drive and it drives the other 2 I have seen the bearings worn so baddly that it wobbles...