Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Shuttle to Hydro

OrangeMetalGuy
I have the Shuttle painted up (almost, still need to do the rear wheels). Tonight I cut the grass with the 716 Hydro; I just love that thing. I am again considering removing the shuttle rear from the 712S and installing a hydro rear that I have from another tractor. I know (per comments by Ray and others) that I can unhook the driveshaft and hydro/shuttle control linkage. Then (I haven't yet looked thru the repair manual) how does the yoke or whatever it is on the other side of the fiber disk (the rear side) come off, to allow the two halves of the machine to separate? Also, has anyone devised a method of testing a hydro pump without an engine? I would like to know if this pump is usable (the machine, originally for parts, was towed a hundred feet or so when I got it onto the trailer). When I cleaned up the Sunstrand, I could hear and see it pump fluid (tiny amount came out) when I turned the pulley by hand, if that means anything. I would just hate to swap rear ends then find out my hydro pump is no good.

RayS
You can remove the yoke with a flywheel puller. That is what I use. You could also use a 3/8" bolt that is long enough to thread through the toke and push against the plate that the BGB bolts up to and tighten them up. That work as a puller as well.

OrangeMetalGuy
Ok, great idea. The Shuttle frame does have the lower bushing for the longer control arm for the Hydro. Maybe this weekend I'll separate the donor tractor and see if I can get the hydro lever off. I have not been successful with getting these off before (maybe I'm being too careful and need to give it a hard whack from the inside to knock it thru the bushing)

ardisam
Its not a hard process, I removed the shuttle rear from my 7114, and installed a hydro. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114H

OrangeMetalGuy
Well, I started. I removed the rear end from the donor tractor. Actually, it was pretty easy. The yoke came right off after a little PB-Blaster and starting it with a puller. Question - when I marry it up to the other tractor, I plan to bolt up the BGB first. Once that is done, can I slide the linkages in place after or do I have to get them in before I bolt up the two halves?

OrangeMetalGuy
Pics of the donor. I will touch up the paint before installing it in the 712.

Yeah I was surprised, the control lever came right out and the yoke came right off the BGB... a couple cranks with a puller and it just slid right off.