Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

clutch plate - brake pad lining/JB weld?

mroman59
On one of these discussions, someone mentioned that they used brake pad lining and epoxied it to the clutch plate using JB weld. I cant find the discussion, but does anyone remember who said that? I want to ask the person, where they got the brake lining to epoxy on. Thanks, MR

LesH
I have had good luck with a product called-- "The Welder". It comes in a tube, you can find it at lowe's/ Home Depot/ True Value. I used it on a friction disc about 4 inches in diameter. Glues leather to the metal disc on the outside diameter. I applied a coat of the glue to each surface-- then waited 10 minutes-- then assembled-- put a hose clamp on the outside diameter-- waited 1 day -- then installed. Don't get any of The Welder on your fingers as it is really sticky and will have to wear off. Wear eye protection too when using The Welder.

mroman59
did you use it on the clutch plate assembly to glue the brake lining to the clutch drum? If so, where did you buy the brake pad. The brake pad looks like it about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick.

SACK
Don't discount the leather belt. It's worked for someone on here for over three years, and has worked for three mowings for me. I used two coats of 3M spray adhesive on each piece... The only problem I had was that the lining/belt was too thick, so I had to sand it with 36 grit to make it disengage. They used to use leather for everything, before the chemical age...

mroman59
well i wish i new these tip before I purchased a new clutch plate for $80 at the dealer. I dont know how long the average clutch plate should last, but I hope my new one last another 20 plus years.