Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

simplicity design, deck rollers?

mroman59
Does anyone know why simplicities older models has the rollers which span almost the whole length of the deck? Is it for strength because of the heavy decks or is does the rollers give a better looking cut as they go across the lawn or is it needed for their free floating design to work better. The reason I ask, is because I noticed their later models do not have this roller design anymore or at least their zero turn radius models which I just saw when I stopped at the dealer. Did they go to the wheels on back because the decks are lighter or just to keep the cost down. I was thinking of replacing my rollers on my 7117 and going with their 3 1/2" diameter rollers to give me an extra 1/2" cutting height. The arbor is the same as the 2 1/2" diameter rollers. If I do, do I need to buy enough rollers to span the deck or will less rollers do and achieve the same cut? How important is it to have rollers all the way across? Instead of 7 4" length rollers, I would need to buy 14 2" length rollers. Trying to keep the cost down, LOL Thoughts are appreciated.

Chris727
They have not done away with roller decks. Some of their lower end products have the wheels instead. I think there is one model of Zero Turn with the full width rollers and the larger ones with the commercial Ferris mower decks (52" and 61") are constructed somewhat differently.

jmhusby
As it has been stated Simplicity didn't do away with the rollers on their mowers. The Zero turns came from Ferris which Simplicity bought. I can only speak for myself but I put the rollers back on the same as original when I redid my Landlord deck and will do it on the 918 Allis when we overhaul the deck. There is another post here where the gentleman used long rollers. I haven't checked yet to see if he posted where he got them.XX(