Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

paint color - allis 36" snowblower

mike_sdak

Hello. I am planning to do a little maintenance on my 36" snowblower which appears to be from a 300-series allis, I am told. The original color is some sort of white or cream. Can anyone tell me what would be a good match to repaint it? I would probably use rattle cans. The rust spots make it look a little more off-white....

I am leaning toward the white-tones. However, I am thinking of painting the auger and inside of the housing and chute with EZ-slide or slip plate graphite paint. Maybe then black would be a good choice. Hmm..

I am getting ready to do one, I am going to use satin black. Inside will be something glossy though, to help the snow move thru the chute.

BobT - that is one nice looking snowblower. If I use black, I might use the black "appliance epoxy" paint for a smooth, durable finish in lieu of the graphite paint.

I did a complete rebuild about four years ago. I completely tore down the snowblower and had some cracks welded. Then got it sandblasted. It was primed with an etching primer and top coated with catalyzed DuPont Chroma One Urethane Acrylic (I got a deal on the paint as the dealer had mixed the wrong shade of black for someone.) I replaced the rotor bearings, sprockets, chain and reassembled it with stainless bolts. The paint is holding up amazingly well - even inside the spout.

[quote]Originally posted by mike_sdak
Hello. I am planning to do a little maintenance on my 36" snowblower which appears to be from a 300-series allis, I am told. The original color is some sort of white or cream. Can anyone tell me what would be a good match to repaint it? I would probably use rattle cans. Mike, I use the Rustoleum Canvas White....