Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Limited Slip Help

78kitty

Well I finally got the limited slip unit off the axle of my 3415H. I'm having the problem where it's not providing differential action and thus the two rear wheels are locked together. This is nice for not getting stuck, but when you try to turn it tears up the grass and wants to push you straight ahead, making for a very bad turning radius. I'm hoping it's just something stuck in the gears. My question is now that it's off what's the best way to take it apart. Also, some of the nuts on the bolts that go through the springs are different. Some are almost like a acorn type nut (except they're open at the top) while others look like regular nuts. Any help on how to best disassemble and degrease the unit would be appreciated!

You need the large-frame repair manual. There is a section on disassembly and reassembly of the diff. PM me with your email and I'll send it to you. PS - it's a grease-laden job, just be prepared with several rolls of paper towels!!

quote:
PS - it's a grease-laden job, just be prepared with several rolls of paper towels!!
Ahhhh yes, the good ol' days. When you dropped all that stuff in a coffee can of gas, and scrubbed away. Luckily some of us were not blown to kingdom come, and likely smelled like a filling station for days. But that was many, many moons ago. Now, with my three headed children and my curious twitching, I have noticed the world is much more eco friendly. sm00 :D

Dave, I went thru my differential, too. Chances are your axel has shifted ,causeing both gears in the diff to engage the same set of planet gears or someone who was in there before re-assembled it wrong. At any rate, check out this link as there is lot's of good info in there about how to disassemble and reassemble the unit. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=106811[/url]

I had the same problem with a locked diff when I assembled my AC716H. I followed the manual, but the manual was wrong. There should be only one washer behind the gear on the axle that is keyed to the axle. The rest of the washers should be in the center of the diff to keep the gears apart and prevent the gear from engaging both sets of spider gears. The manual showed two washers behind the gear and that locked the diff. I actually sent an email to Simplicity and their response was that it depended on the tolerances and fit within the diff and that they used whatever was needed to make the diff work (somewhere between 1 and 4 washers). As I said, my way is one washer behind the gear and the rest in front. These are the #10 washers in the attached diagram. Hope this helps.

I am wondering about these washers specifically.... I damaged my washer or washers on the right side of the gear as shown by the diagram above when pulling the diff off the axle... the keys pulled thru the washers ... jacks shows these washers NLA... is there anything special about the washers as far as trying to get replacements??

Chances are it is a generic hardware item. A great many of the nuts/bolts items that are NLA are such because they are open market from McMaster-Carr or a local hardware store.

Has the differential always been locked? Could be a previous owner reassembled it with the gear (item #12 in Rod's diagram) reversed. Kind of sounds like it has been apart. The nuts should all be metal lock nuts. The 'acorn' style sound like nylon insert lock nuts. A good way to disassemble is to replace every other bolt with a 1/2" longer bolt with a nut just started. Then everything does not come apart 'quickly'.

Make sure the gears inside the diff are on alternate sides. If these are not placed in the right order the gears will be locked and will not allow the diff to work correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions / tips everyone. I might get time to mess with it this weekend. The diff has always been locked since I've had it. If all the nuts are supposed to be the same, then the unit probably has been apart somewhere along the line!